Author Topic: Pre-brine weight of gouda.  (Read 1999 times)

vogironface

Pre-brine weight of gouda.
« on: October 26, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
I am currently soaking in brine my first gouda.  After removing from the mold overnight at 20lbs (4" wheel) I had a cheese weighing 18.6oz.  It was made with 1 us gallon of whole milk from the grocery store.  My first thoughts were how great the yield was since I was expecting 16oz at best.  Then I remembered reading some guidance on this forum on yields and this yield was more comparable to cream cheese.  I used calcium chloride in the preparation.

So, the question is if the yield of a 1 gallon wheel after pressing but before brine of 18.6oz is normal or does it indicate improper curd preparation?  It could also mean a  great yield and everything is ok. 

Thoughts?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Pre-brine weight of gouda.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:19:37 PM »
Ben - That doesn't seem too far off the mark. The link below is my latest gouda. I'm sure there are others who will share similar experiences as far as pre-brine weights.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2322.msg17765.html#msg17765

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 12:09:52 AM »
Looks good to me Ben. I never rarely weight my cheeses out of the mold. I like to weight them before eatting. That's when I know what the ield was.

vogironface

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:31:37 AM »
Boofer, great looking gouda in that post.  reading that thread was a bit like a mystery novel with the last chapter torn out.  How was the cheese?  Have you eaten it yet?

So the wheele has been removed from the brine, now I will dry for several days and then wax.  Let's hope all is well.

vogironface

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:44:44 AM »
Just weighed the gouda after brine.  Weight is now 18 oz.  There appears to be a crack on the side of the wheel.  Not sure if I damaged it after pressing or if it occurred in the brine.  The outside seems dry, somewhat like a cheddar after 2-3 days drying at room temp.  Photo below with crack horizontal. 

I think I may end up like Baby Chee and eat this one half up after 20 days.  Better make another!!!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:15:45 AM by Ben »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:42:55 AM »
Yes there does seem to be a crack. Sometimes that is from taking it out of the mould. It gets squeezed in so tight from pressing the cheese and cloths sometimes hangs on the drain holes. We can easyily fracture the cheese trying to pull it out. If you have a mould with two open ends try to push the follower all the way through to get the cheese out.

And try not to drop it like I have been known to do when trying to get it out of the brine.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »
Ben - No, I haven't opened my Gouda yet. I just made it October 3rd, so it has a while to go yet. I am anticipating a Thanksgiving or Christmas unveiling. Checking/turning it this morning...I'm really starting to anticipate its debut. Four pounds of delight.  ;D

Sometimes it seems like the weight of the wheel will work against me when I'm turning it in the brine, contributing to possible cracks on the sides.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »
Ben, looks good, I also had a problem on a 1.87 kg/4.11 lb (from 15.2 liters/4 US gallons of store bought whole milk, after brining) Havarti that cracked I think under it's own weight when placing in/lifting out of brine, these are soft pressed cheeses!

Comparing that cheese's weight with yours, looks like mine was dryer, maybe I'm overcooking my curds as it wasn't as soft as store bought Havarti, thanks for info.