Author Topic: New cave shelves from Ipe wood  (Read 6623 times)

Tropit

New cave shelves from Ipe wood
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »
My DH just made me a beautiful set of new shelves for my cast-off mini-fridge.  (Previously, it only had one wobbly shelf to its name.)  The wood was so hard that he had to glue the slats together.  I hope this wood does not transfer any toxicity to my cheeses.  I think it's safe...does anyone else know?

Alex

Re: New cave shelves from Ipe wood
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »
Ipe (Tabebui SPP.) (Brazilian Walnut, Cortez, Bethabara, Lapacho ) The Tree may grow to 140 to 150 ft in height with trunk diameters of 6 ft. Frequently to heights of 100 ft and diameters of 2 to 3 ft. Boles are clear to 60 ft and more, with or without buttresses. Very hard dense wood with a deep rich brown coloration and exceedingly fine graining. Widely used for decking. Ipe is rated very resistant to attack by decay fungi and termites, by the USDA Forest Products Lab. This wood resists insects, moisture and movement, and it can be used in ground contact without preservatives or additional treatments. Suitable for outdoor projects. Grows in Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Venezuela, Guatemala. Has been known to cause respiratory and contact dermatitis allergic reactions.  

Toxicity: Ipe boards can have a fine yellow dust on the surface that may cause dermatitis in some individuals that have skin sensitivities and/or cause allergic reactions in those who breathe it in... so wearing a dust mask is recommended. Ipe hardwood is an amazing wood but no sense in risking your health!

Now you have to choose the right answer from two sites.

Google: Ipe Characteristics

Tropit

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:01:32 PM »
Thanks Alex,

However, I'm not cutting the wood.  My shelves have already been sanded and oiled.  I don' think that there is much risk in using them as there is no dust and the cheese is not in direct contact with the wood.

Tropit

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:44:01 PM »
Oh and I might add that in the past, I have personally gotten terrible rashes from working with redwood, teak and pine.  I think it's more of a danger working with Ipe, than using finished product in the fridge.  However, you may have good cause for worry and I do apreciate the concern.  I'll let you know if any of my family members develops a rash and stops breathing.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:58:11 AM »
That's a post I DON'T want to read!

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:51:32 AM »
Alex, it is hard to disagree in writing without sounding arrogant or critical so please take this post as from a humble no-nothing with a different opinion who  really doesn't want to offend. :-\  Tropit, I use ipe all the time. It is only a problem if you get dust or splinters in your skin or lungs and then it is only a nuisance not a real danger unless you have an allergic reaction which you would probably have already experienced from coming in contact with it. I can vouche for the fact that you don't want to breath it but your shelves will be fine. I have even noticed that when I use it outside, mold doesn't grow well on it (probably due to moisture resistance) so it might prove to be a blessing.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:56:27 AM »
Farmer, you don't sound arrogant at all, I just cited some texts from web sites. I have no experience with this wood, I now it's very resistable for outdoor use, especially for decks, especially arround swimming pools. I am here to have other's opinions as well, not to reply only.

P.S. - As a cabinet maker, sometimes it's difficult for me to convince my customers that MDF is harmfull for me (dust during manufacturing and so on) but not for them.

FarmerJd

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »
I gotcha. Thanks for being agreeable. I built the floor of my barn and milking stalls out of ipe and it is almost like concrete.

Tropit

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »
Oh...no offense taken at all.  I know that you're just worried about me.   :)   I hope that goes the same for you.

My hubby is a general contractor, so he had lots of scraps of Ipe laying around.  He's used it a lot, at his clients' requests, and never has had any reactions, but that's not saying anything.  Ya just never know.

The racks are now very smooth, oiled with olive oil and installed.  I also use a mat, or paper towel on the top of the racks, so the cheese isn't affected, or discolored.  So far, no problems. 
One thing nice about the Ipe is that is resists moisture and mold growth and it doesn't dent easily.

FarmerJd

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 03:11:39 PM »
I am about to use ipe in my new cave as well.

coffee joe

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:58:15 AM »
Hello all,

I've been lurking for months now and this is my first post. I will make a proper introduction later. As to Ipê, it is great stuff but I would not spend the money to use this wood for cheese shelves. I am just opening some of my first cheddars that were dried and aged 2 months over this wood and I found 2 negatives.

1 - it stained the cheese surface
2 - it imparted a slight acrid taste, although seems to be only to the rind. I don't know how it will affect the cheese itself during a longer cure time, but I'm not going to risk it.

FarmerJd

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
Thanks for the input coffee joe. I figured it would stain anything touching it yellow/orange. Did you oil it before using it? By the way, welcome to the forum. :)

Tropit

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
I think it's important to put something down on the wood before you put your cheese on it.  That goes for all kinds of wood, IMHO.  The Ipe has been working out great as far as durability and moisture resistance.  I agree, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it...the scraps were freebies from a job.  I'm just thrilled to have some shelves!

~ C.