Author Topic: A great find and cost me only free 99.  (Read 4789 times)

vogironface

A great find and cost me only free 99.
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »
I have been trying to find some culinary large diameter pvc pipe for some hoops for the press.  No one is willing to cut any of it.  So I called the canal company to see if they have any scrap.  This is what they gave me for free with about 18" of 6" which is not pictured.  This is apparently a pvc water main line in the diameter of the old cast iron pipe.  Hope it works.  Now if only I could find a pot large enough for.....

On another note, there has been some discussion here about the safety of pvc.  I was trying to think of a very cost effective way of using stainless.  So here is my thoughts up for discussion.

What if you could find at the second hand store a stainless cook pot about 8" tall and cut off the bottom some how.  Should work.  The question is how to cut the bottom off.  Clearly a large band saw used to cut pipe and perhaps a cutting torch or even a lathe.  Any thoughts?

Cheese Head

Re: A great find and cost me only free 99.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »
Ben, I found precut sections of 6" white PVC at Home Depot and Lowes national hardware chain stores. I think someone (Baby Chee?) was using a stockpot like you said, he was posting pictures somewhere with his broken drill bits.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 04:17:32 AM »
Ben, make sure the pipe is a "drinking water grade" and does not contain lead.

vogironface

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:09:19 AM »
Gurkan,

Thank you for the advice.  I did check with the canal company and a plumbing company.  This is the pipe the city uses to carry water from the purification plant to our homes.  I believe it should be safe.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 05:15:51 AM »
Just because PVC is OK for water does not mean it's OK for the acid that cheese generates. Search the forum for more info.

vogironface

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 05:50:19 AM »
Sailor,

You just have to go and complicate my life don't you.  It was so easy to pretend that everything is ok.  :)

I figure the only way to know for sure is to contact the manufacture.  There is enough text on the pipe to find them.  I have sent an email to there tech support with specific questions on the subject.  We shall see what they have to say.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:58:30 AM »
PVC releases toxic gas during manufacturing process when it reaches the melting temp. Promiss not to sue me if I am wrong :D

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »
This pipe is lying on the ground at a construction place near my house (government is building a new suburb). It is blue and same diameter and I believe it is used for drinking water. I will try to find an engineer on site and ask questions and try to get a piece if suits.

vogironface

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:22:06 AM »
The company who manufactured the pipe sent the following PDF document which discusses testing for a standard called "NSF/ANSI Standard 61".  Here in the US all plumbing products conveying drinking water are required to meet the NSF/ANSI Standard 61 to ensure components will not contribute harmful levels of contaminants to the drinking water.

The standards include testing water at several ph levels including a ph of 5, 8, and 10.  I did not see the issue of temperature in this document so I have asked for further clarification on that.  I will post details when they come. 

I don't have a ph meter, but isn't cheese slightly higher than a ph of 5 when pressed?

I have attached the PDF and all of the text is below as well.  Sorry for the length but there may be some who can't open a pdf.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:31:29 AM by Ben »

vogironface

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:22:51 AM »
NSF International
Ann Arbor, MI · Brussels, Belgium
Frequently Asked Questions on Health Effects of PVC Plumbing Products
How do I know plumbing products are safe for use?
All plumbing products conveying drinking water are required to meet the NSF/ANSI Standard 61 to ensure components will not contribute harmful levels of contaminants to the drinking water.
What is NSF/ANSI Standard 61?
NSF/ANSI Standard 61 is entitled Drinking Water System Components-Health Effects. This is the American National Standard for health effects of drinking water system components. It establishes the health effects requirements for the chemical contaminants and impurities that are indirectly imparted to drinking water from products, components and materials used in drinking water systems.
NSF/ANSI Standard 61 is overseen by the NSF Drinking Water Additives Joint Committee comprised of equal representation from the regulatory community, the manufacturing industry and user groups. The American National Standards Institute accredits NSF standards development procedures to ensure a balanced committee of stakeholders develops the standards in an open process. Providing technical oversight is the NSF Council of Public Health Consultants. The council is a group of 30 representatives from academia and local, state and federal regulatory agencies that provide technical advice and oversight of the NSF Standards.
A standing task group is NSF Health Advisory Board. This group consists of toxicologist from USEPA, Health Canada, state and provincial agencies as well as toxicologists from industry and private consulting firms. This group is responsible or reviewing and approving all allowable contaminant concentrations that are published in NSF/ANSI Standard 61.
How is PVC tubing tested?
First, a formulation review is performed on the material to determine what possible contaminants could leach out into drinking water and determines what type of chemical extraction testing is necessary.
Products are exposed to formulated exposure waters, and the exposure waters are analyzed for contaminants. Three separate formulated waters are used during the product exposure. A pH 5 and 10 exposure water are separately used for exposures as these waters are aggressive toward extraction of metallic contaminants. A pH 8 water is used during the exposure for organic based contaminants.
Tubing is conditioned by exposure to the formulated waters for 14 days with water being changed on 10 of those days. The water collected from the final 16-hour exposure period is then analyzed for contaminants. Any contaminants found must be below EPA and Health Canada levels for regulated contaminants. For non-regulated contaminants found, NSF/ANSI Standard 61 sets health based pass/fail levels based on review of available toxicity data using the risk assessment procedures in annex A of the standard.
What types of analysis are performed on PVC products?
Water exposed to PVC products are tested for volatile organic compounds (VOC’s), phenolics, residual chloride monomer (RVCM), antimony, arsenic, barium, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, selenium, tin, thallium and any other potential contaminant identified during the formulation review.
Page 1 of 2 10/23/2006
P.O. Box 130140 Ann Arbor, MI 48113-0140 USA
734-769-8010 1-800-NSF-MARK Fax 734-769-0109
E-Mail: info@nsf.org Web:http://www.nsf.org
NSF International
Ann Arbor, MI · Brussels, Belgium
How do I know if products meet this requirement?
Plumbing products meeting the health effects requirements of NSF/ANSI Standard 61 will bear either the NSF-61 Mark or the NSF-pw (potable water) Mark on the print string. The NSF-pw Mark indicates the product meets the health requirements of NSF-61 as well as performance, long term strength and quality control requirements as required by NSF/ANSI Standard 14- Plastic Piping Components are Related Materials.
If a product has only a NSF-dwv mark, this indicates the product has only been evaluated for drain, waste and vent applications.
Where Can I find NSF Listed Products?
NSF certified products can be found on our website http://www.nsf.org/business/search_listings/
What ensures the product consistently meets these requirements?
For products listed for potable water applications, NSF performs at least three unannounced audits of each production facility annually. During the audit, NSF verifies there are no modifications to the product formulation and processing. In addition, NSF verifies quality control tests being done by the manufacturer. NSF also collects samples for laboratory retesting of each product family on an annual basis.
Who can I contact for questions?
If you have questions about the testing and certification of any NSF Certified product, you may contact our Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Hotline at 1-877-867-3435.
Who is NSF?
NSF International, The Public Health and Safety Company™, a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization, is the world leader in standards development, product certification, education, and risk-management for public health and safety. For 60 years, NSF has been committed to public health, safety, and protection of the environment. While focusing on food, water, indoor air, and the environment, NSF develops national standards, provides learning opportunities through its Center for Public Health Education, and provides third-party conformity assessment services while representing the interests of all stakeholders. The primary stakeholder groups include industry, the regulatory community, and the public at large.
NSF/ANSI 61, and subsequent product certification against it, has replaced the USEPA Additives Advisory Program for drinking water system components. USEPA terminated its advisory role in April 1990. For more information with regard to USEPA's actions, refer to the July 7, 1988 Federal Register (53FR25586).
Page 2 of 2 10/23/2006
P.O. Box 130140 Ann Arbor, MI 48113-0140 USA
734-769-8010 1-800-NSF-MARK Fax 734-769-0109
E-Mail: info@nsf.org Web:http://www.nsf.org

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 04:55:10 AM »
Your reference is irrelevant. They're talking about using with WATER, not acidic cheese. Of course it's safe with water.

vogironface

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 07:00:50 AM »
I know this topic has been hashed out before and I am no chemist, but in the document it states the following.

Three separate formulated waters are used during the product exposure. A pH 5 and 10 exposure water are separately used for exposures as these waters are aggressive toward extraction of metallic contaminants. A pH 8 water is used during the exposure for organic based contaminants.

So would not a water solution with a PH of 5 and a cheese with a PH of 5 both have equally corrosive effects on the pipe?  Isn't a ph of five a ph of five? 

the end of the day if pipe can't be used then the only real practical solution is to stick to the commercially purchased molds or use stainless. Right?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
Lots of us, including me (rarely), use PVC pipe but there are plenty of studies showing negative implications. Given a choice, I would go for food grade plastic or stainless every time.

zenith1

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
Ben- I agree with your assessment of  pH 5 being equal in both instances. I also have to agree with Sailor- I would stick to a food grade palstic because it was formulated specifically for that use. It is one less thing to worry about in what we put into our bodies and that is one of the  many reasons we make cheese for ourselves  :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 05:55:18 AM »
With all the talk about food grade PVC and such I thought it strange that a friend of mine just ordered a cheese press ($100) from a well known cheese maker and supplier and got two pieces of white PVC pipe as molds with faint hints of the print on the side. It appears to be the same stuff they sell at home depot.

I do not know what the difference is between the white and the green pipe except that when ever I see the green it's used outside and the white inside.