Author Topic: Cheese in the CCCP - Cobbled Cheap Cheese Press  (Read 8755 times)

FarmerJd

Re: Cheese in the CCCP - Cobbled Cheap Cheese Press
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 05:37:14 AM »
My press does that unless I use the guide I made. Just above the pot attach a guide for the ramrod to slide through so that it stays centered and vertical as the weight brings the arm down. What usually happens is that as the arm goes down, the connection between the rod and arm is actually moving slightly forward so the angle on the follower changes slightly and this causes the pressure to not be straight down. With the guide, the ram rod stays vertical and does not slide on the follower or lean as bad. You also have to make sure it is exactly centered and the guide helps there too.

Baby Chee

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »
Yeah, I have to screw on a wider base on that plunger.

Baby Chee

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »
Well, I opened one of the big cheeses today.... and....

Good, but chalky.  I used 6 Tsp. CaCl2 30% solution in 14.5 gallons.

It's edible, not SO chalky, but you detect the flavor.  I'll eat it all, but it won't be as fine as previous cheeses. 

I used 2 Tsp. Anatto, which was twice what I should prudently use.  Not a big deal.  Just color.

The smoke doesn't really overwhelm or add anything to this first cheese.  Nothing great in the flavor, nothing bad, just... there.  It's really disappointing that I find the smoke flavoring so nondescript.

The press did a good job.  The texture of the cheese is good.  All issues are presently in taste due to CaCl2.  Curd gathering was good, process of making the cheese was good, the basic cheese is ok.  My next batch will get where I want to go, and I'll make that cheese in February.  These will be eaten from now until May.

I'll post pictures in the next days.  My wax job was brushed, and it looks like a sad candle, but does the job.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 03:12:39 AM »
Sorry you were disappointed chee.    :-[

kawatiri kaas

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
Ben, thanks for the spreadsheet - love it, love all the thinking that goes into these things even before deciding on a particular project. How does psi work then? Doess it calculate it easily? Should know, I guess, I did do math at school lol.
Cheers

Baby Chee

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »
Sorry you were disappointed chee.    :-[

MILDLY.

It's not an inedible cheese, it's just rather colorless cheese due to the CaCl2 and smoke flavor.  The mix isn't right, but I can and will eat it all.  Good nutritious and natural stuff.  Probably a better cheese for sauces and dips, might be good on crackers too, but I eat cheese cubes through the day.

Baby Chee

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »
Haven't posted pics, sorry.

I'm almost done the first giant gouda!

My girlfriend came over from Germany in the end of January and we've been using this gouda on cracker for snacks and in sauces, soups, on sandwiches, etc. for serious meals.  Bland, but makes a great base for better flavors.  Good nacho cheese for nacho sauces and stuff.