Author Topic: Calcium Chloride - Granular, How Dilute  (Read 45874 times)

vogironface

Re: Calcium Chloride - Granular, How Dilute
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »
All right folks I have received an answer from Joeellen at leeners.  They mix 30% by weight.  So, if I have 100 grams of finished solution then 30 grams would be Cacl2.  There seems to be some variance in the way that various manufactures mix but from personal experience I know the leeners solution works just fine so I think I will use that mix. 

Isn't this the same way we measure a brine solution.  A 100 gram solution of 12% brine would have 12 grams of salt? 

Here is the text of here email for your literary enjoyment.

"A 30% solution indicates that by weight 30% of the total is pharmaceutical grade calcium chloride and 70% is distilled water.

Be aware that when the powder is mixed with distilled water, the resulting solution can become very hot."

linuxboy

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »
Hi Ben,

Thanks for checking. That is also the consensus we reached here. I listed calculations earlier for mixing a 30% solution, amount in grams to add per gallon, and amount in ml to add per gallon when using a 30% solution.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
I just made a 1500ml batch with 1 pound of CaCl2. Couldn't believe hot this got instantly. Wow. I know I have enough to last a few years ::) but $4.50 for a POUND on e-bay is a great deal. Just 2 ounces is $4.95 from NECS.

It dissolved quickly, but I did have a few random flakes lingering so 30% may be close to saturation.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:39:01 PM by Sailor Con Queso »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 02:47:34 AM »
I just wanted to mention one thing here:

I think the reason you are all getting confused is you need to remember what a solutions is. 

A "solution" should be in the terms  grams/ml or Weight/Volume. Makes it much easier to understand when you define your terms first.

Sorry to interupt ...  ::)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 12:34:43 AM »
In another thread talking about a cheese called Cantal from "200 Easy Homemade Cheese recipes", I noticed something interesting in the ingredient list.

Recipes that use 4 gallons(16L) cow's milk:
3/4 tsp (3.75ml) calcium chloride dissolved in 1/4 cup (50ml) water.

Interesting datapoint. When last I checked, we put 30ml of CACL2 in a 100ml container and filled it with water to arrive at a 30% solution. Here's a recipe book that apparently a few people besides myself are using and it calls for 3.75ml dissolved in 50ml of water. I'm sure that will guarantee the 30% with a little buffer room. So what if the total volume of milk liquids is a little larger?

What that tells me is that I can keep my CACL2 dry and mix it fresh as I need it...3/4tsp (3.75ml) at a time for my 4 gallon (16L) cheese recipe. No muss, no fuss  ::) .

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 12:47:22 AM »
Boofer calcium chloride is always dissolved/diluted in pure water first before using and yes you could mix it as you go but larger volume solutions are easier to mix than small ones.

It is not a simple matter of pouring 3.75 ml of the powder into the 1/4 cup of water. Those recipes are based on diluting a 30% solution.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 03:09:31 AM »
Boofer - that recipe from 200 Easy... and just about every other recipe assumes that we are using a pre-mixed 30% solution to start with, so she is NOT talking about using granular CaCl2. You add the 30% solution to more water to increase the dispersion rate.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 03:44:55 PM »
Got it.  Must have drifted off there for moment.  ;)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:20 AM »
I gave Ben and LinuxBoy a cheese for this post since it spurred me to try this out with my own pound of CaCl2. Just wanted to give back my gratitude for such a significant contribution.  Hope it's okay to add this silly little note just to say THANKS GUYS.

catseatnit

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 03:23:49 AM »
Just to be sure - you are dessicating (oven?) the hydrated CaCl2 (2H2O) before weighing, correct? 

linuxboy

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 08:42:53 AM »
Yes, calculation is for dehydrated. Or, adjust for hydration level.

Caseus

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 03:32:45 AM »
So can you just dehydrate the CaCl2 in the kitchen oven?  Lowest temp on my oven is 175 degrees.  How do you know when it is dehydrated sufficiently?

linuxboy

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 03:54:23 AM »
That's only if you're one of those crazy mad scientist types and want to make a solution of an exact molarity. In practice, dump in CaCl2 until it is saturated and will no longer dissolve. You now have 28-33% solution.

Caseus

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 05:21:49 AM »
Great.  That makes it easy.  Thank you linuxboy for the information you shared in this thread and the other one where I asked about the Pickle Crisp.  Everywhere I turn, no matter what subject related to cheesemaking that I question, I find myself learning from you. 

shaneb

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 12:21:47 AM »
Thanks all to the information on this thread. I've just made up a big batch of 30% calcium chloride. I bought the calcium chloride from a brewing supply store.

Shane