Author Topic: Review: California USA Made Cacique Brand Queso Fresco (Fresh Cheese)  (Read 28411 times)

Cheese Head

Here in Texas we have a big Hispanic - Latino population, thus a popular cheese is Queso Fresco which means Fresh Cheese in Spanish.

I bought some, picture below, and it has a very nice fresh cheese taste and a soft crumbly texture. Package says great crumbled over salads, in taquitos, soupes and enchiladas as it softens but does not separate or melt when heated.

Queso Fresco Cheese Making Recipe
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:07:20 AM by Cheese Head »

DaggerDoggie

Sounds good and easy to make.  I have heard of it...through the FDA website on mile, but I have never seen it.  I need to give it a try.

Where do you find all these recipes, John?

Cheese Head

I'm just the diggingist dog ;D.

OK, our eldest daughter's favourite stuffed toy is called digger dog, probably after the kids book.

July 3, 2008, made this cheese for the first time, records posted here.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:12:51 PM by Cheese Head »

Cheese Head

Re: Review: California USA Made Cacique Brand Queso Fresco (Fresh Cheese)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:41:32 PM »
Bought another 10 ounce/283 gram package of this cheese for USD3.5 as I wanted to make it again and compare to manufactured product. Surprisingly the same brand I bought one year ago in post above. Manufacturer's homepage, and their Queso Fresco info page which says:

"One of the most widely consumed cheeses among Hispanics, it's name literally means "Fresh Cheese." Derived from cow's milk, it is white in color, crumbly in texture and most importantly, has a fresh milky taste. Introduced to Early México from Spain, Queso Fresco has become a staple in most Hispanic households. Just serving a plate of Queso Fresco and warm tortillas can bring a family to the table. This delicious white cheese can be eaten as is, crumbled over foods or baked in any of your favorite recipes since it softens but does not melt. It is usually used in traditional dishes such as enchiladas, taquitos, sopes and refried beans".

Cheese's sealed plastic package says ingredients are Cultured Pasteurized Milk, Skim Milk (thus the description part skim milk), Sea Salt, and Enzymes. Expiry date is an amazing (for this type of cheese) almost 3 months from when I bought it last weekend.

Opening the package, the cheese is moist with small amount of whey around outside and no air inside. Cheese is slightly aromatic, very slightly off white, soft, very moist and pliable but cutable and lightly crumbly. Flavour is very fresh and with medium nice somewhat milky flavor. Put some on a small Pita and toasted to see how melted, got partial separation as expected. Pictures below.

pamaples

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:48:56 AM »
Yes John, it is just like the package says and it is good cheese! Almost every kitchen here in the South Valley of Albuquerque, including my own, makes their own rendition of this cheese, usually from goat milk. (The goats are in the back yard.) Queso Fresco is a staple, right up there with Requeson. It truly does bring everyone to the table. Its like thy have ESP! Warm corn tortillas, fill with queso, add a generous helping of pico de gallo, and roll them up into little tubes or scoops.... YUMMY!

Pam

Pam

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:18:25 AM »
Pam, we had spiced fish tortillas for dinner last night, yum.

For Queso Fresco and warm tortillas, do you also warm the cheese or just cut in slices? Also, appreciate any recipes for it, especially for when using store bought cow's millk ;D.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 03:57:37 AM by John (CH) »

pamaples

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
The queso fresco from the package is sliceable. The queso fresco I make, and many of my neighbors make, is not -probably because it is not pressed- It's crumbly. After it drains all night in the cloth in the fridge I mix it up in a bowl with a little salt and whatever spices I feel like and put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It seems to vanish almost immediately. Tortillas are used as edible utensils in this family. Tear a warm one into quarters, form into scoops and have at that cheese! I will look around and see if anyone is making queso fresco from store bought cow's milk and has a recipe they actually write down...

I can put a recipe for incredibly easy enchiladas in the recipe section if you are interested. It is great with this cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 03:14:52 PM »
Jon-

Being this is kind of a sister cheese to ricotta I don't see why store bought milk wouldn't work. If fact I don't see why you couldn't make if from whey and just add the orange juice - that about the only difference I see.

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
PAM: We eat lots of tortillas here also, but mostly flour, not rice ones. So you homemade QF is more like what I made in my first two batches with just squeezing excess whey out of cheesecloth. The package says crumble on salads and it is a little but not very crumbly. A recipe for the easy Enchiladas would be great!

DEBI: Yep works fine with store bought cow's milk, I've made two batches and on third, just wanted find out what the authentic Mexican recipe/method is.

pamaples

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 02:35:18 AM »
Enchilada recipe is now posted over in recipe section. Be sure to use CORN tortillas! Enjoy.

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 04:05:56 AM »
Thanks Pam, that looks like some spicy red chili sauce!