Author Topic: Lipase - Dosage Rates  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
Lipase - Dosage Rates
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:15:55 PM »
Posts below moved from Library > Manufactured Technical Data Sheets as re-organized those posts into just the files and thus moved discussions into othr appropriate boards.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:58:42 PM by Webmaster »

wharris

Re: Lipase - Dosage Rates
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:27:32 AM »
Just noticing the discrepancy between these guides and CHR Hansen's with respect to lipase

Hansen
20g-120g/1000liters

Sacco
70g-150g/1000liters

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »
Thanks Wayne, still a large overlap in the middle. Probably both companys have different manufacturing techniques and thus different concentrations?

Then again, Lipase is most often used in Italian cheese which the Italian Sacco should know best.

Regardless, a large application range.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
Agreed,  and it makes my accidental 198gr/1000liter rate look better and better.

Although I will be backing it back down to 120g/1000liter on my next batch.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 07:30:49 PM »
A few details to point out:

- Lipase is standardized according to Lipase Units.
- A Lipase Unit catalyzes the liberation of one micromole of a fatty acid per minute at 37C and a relatively neutral pH (~7.5 IIRC).
- Lipase concentrations differ among manufacturers, similar to how rennet strengths may differ.
- Ask for the strength or results of an assay for lipase strength to do a 1:1 comparison among manufacturers.
- Use the recommended lipase amounts for your cheese style per the manufacturer.
- And of course, for sharper taste, age longer.

So Wayne, in your case, adding so much lipase isn't terrible for a parm style (it would be bad for a more moist cheese or higher fat cheese). But you may want to age at a slightly lower temp than normal (50 instead of 55) to slow down the breakdown, and also age for less time before cutting if you want a milder cheese.