Author Topic: Limburger Brine Solution...  (Read 2987 times)

Baby Chee

Limburger Brine Solution...
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
Hey everyone.  I purchase many supplies through Steve Shapson, theCheesemaker.com, and one of the upcoming cheeses I want to make is a Limburger.  As if he read my mind, he sent a Limburger recipe.

What was better than that, since I have the one from this forum, is the recommendation of the brine smear and thus how to make % brines.  I figured someone might like to know this:
------------------------------------
How to make a 3% salt solution. 
1. First you will need to make a 100% master salt solution. To do this, using a beer or wine bottle or jar dissolve sea salt or non iodized salt into clean tap water or distilled water until the salt no longer can stay dissolved.  At this point you will see salt crystals swirling around, unable to dissolve. You now have a 100% Master Salt Solution.
2. To make the 3% salt solution needed for Limburger, mix three parts of the master salt solution to 97 parts water.  Use any measurement you wish; teaspoon, milliliters.
------------------------------------
Simple, huh?

1 Pint is 96 teaspoons, btw.  So you can almost go off 1 to 100 with that ratio.
1 pint is 32 tablespoons.  That gives close to 1 to 33.33333 ratio.  Thus, one Tbsp. of 100% brine in a pint of clean water is close to the Limburger brining solution percentage.

Alex

Re: Limburger Brine Solution...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:23:37 PM »
3 parts of salt disolved in 97 parts of water, that's all.

Baby Chee

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »
So 3 teaspoons salt in a pint of water?

Alex

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
Calculation should be based on weight.
1 pint water = 454 gr
3 ts =1 tb = approx. 20 dr salt.

So, for 1 pint of water you need about 13.5-14 gr salt that should be 2 ts. now you deduct that from the pint in order to get 1 pint 3% concentrated solution.
Hoping I was clear ::)

Baby Chee

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »
What is DR?  Did you mean GRAM?

Alex

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:05:25 PM »
Sorry, yes, I meant grams