Author Topic: Noob from UK  (Read 3664 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Noob from UK
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:47:18 PM »
Very nice looking cheese Parselmouth!

handyface

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »
They look great!  I've not managed to make what I would call a truly successful camenbert yet, and have moved on to harder cheeses for now until I can regulate humidity better.

Do you sell the raw milk anywhere?  I have real trouble getting hold of reasonable quantities of raw milk in London :(

Parselmouth

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
Early days yet with these cams, I think the ripening conditions have a lot of effect on how the finished cheeses turn out, but I'm pleased with them for a first attempt.

We don't sell the raw milk direct to the public, but we do have a dairy licence so I suppose it could be something that we could do, depending on whether there was a demand for it as you do have to pay to have your milk tested regularly. I just read a piece form The Telegraph last year about increasing demand for raw milk in London as a result of farmers selling it at the farmers' markets. Presumably you've looked at these but if not you can apparently get it at Notting Hill Farmers' market.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/3341324/Untreated-milk-is-in-demand.htmlHere's  the link.

handyface

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »
Yep have managed to get some from Blackheath Farmers Market, and a limited supply from Peckham Farmers Market.

Buying in large quantities is quite difficult though as they generally only have a few litres - i'll have to chat to them at some point to see if they can bring more one week!

Parselmouth

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
I'm sure they'll be only too pleased to sell you as much as you want, if you can arrange it with them beforehand.

I'm just surprised the EU haven't banned it yet, although I guess the French would be on the streets protesting if they tried.  ;D

mosborn

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 06:13:46 PM »
It is illegal to sell raw milk here in Ohio.  I do hear that if you sign a statement that you'll use it only for your pets, and not for human consumption, they can sell it. 

So now they have 'herdsharing' here.  Buy a portion of a cow or goat, then you can say you are the owner of the animal, and you can do what you want with the milk.