Author Topic: Ben's first fetta, does it mellow?  (Read 2761 times)

vogironface

Ben's first fetta, does it mellow?
« on: November 02, 2009, 11:14:01 PM »
Just finished my first fetta.  I enjoyed making it better than I thought I would.  I made it soft and perhaps a little to much.  next time I will cook the curds at 90 degrees longer than I did.  I also added sharp lipase, didn't have anything but sharp.  I added 1/8 tsp for my one gallon batch.  It came out much more strongly flavored than I like.  My question is it it will mellow in the brine or if the lipase flavor will intensify.  your thoughts are appreciated.

Tea

Re: Ben's first fetta, does it mellow?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:51:22 AM »
Hi Ben and glad you enjoyed the process.  Personally I have never used the sharp lipase, just the regular, and with that the flavours do increase a little over time, but nothing over the top.  My recipe also only uses 1/10th, not much of a difference I realise, but between normal and strong, it could make a difference.

So here is your excuse to make another batch.   ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:56:45 AM »
Sharp feta might be interesting. Oh yes I agree with Tea now you have to make another batch. In fact maybe even three more batches! Now you have to make them with the other three types of lipase to see which is best.

Enquiring Cheesemakers want to know!

vogironface

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:48:47 AM »
If ever there is a cheese makers anonymous you two will not be invited.  You are doing nothing to inspire moderation in my cheese making.   ;)

Really, I can see you both have the cheese bug as well.  On my way back from work I purchased another gallon of milk.  Next stop is fetta with NO lipase. 

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:29:38 AM »
Ben, my first Feta using store bought whole cow's milk had no piquant taste as no lipase. I'd always use lipase now if using cow's milk.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:44:03 AM »
Inspire moderation? That doesn't even sound right!

I only, er usually, er most of the time, only get to make cheese one day a week and it's a LONG week!

Moderation is only eatting half of the cheese at 6 months instead of a year.  :D

vogironface

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:53:01 AM »
Debi, you have given me hope and inspiration.  I will now eat only half a cheese and call it moderation.  You are a genius!!! ;)

Thanks John,  I will try just less lipase as I still think it a bit strong.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »
Thanks Ben. That's why I almost aways use two molds with every batch. Smaller cheeses but two of them at a time.