Author Topic: My mellowing Manchego  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
My mellowing Manchego
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:46:18 AM »
I did my first Manchego on April 17th. It was brined for 16 hours, then I dried it with paper towels and salted all surfaces and put it in my cave. I waxed it on May 11th. My notes say it had major cracks in one side.

I cut it into quarters on September 11th, saved out one quarter for sampling, and rewaxed the other three. My comments at that time were that it was firm, too salty, with a slightly crumbly texture. In other words, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the end product at that time.

Fast forward to the past two weeks.  :o Wow!! :o

Maybe my palate and nose have become more sophisticated in a month's time...or the cheese has pleasingly aged in that time. Whatever the reason, I am now very thoroughly enjoying my Manchego effort. It is still a little crumbly but it slices okay and is not at all salty. I am now planning my second improved Manchego cheese. Slices of the cheese add tremendously to a sandwich, an omelet, or plain with sliced apple.

My wife finds the cheese stinky. I find it pleasingly pungent. My little Yorkie loves the little bits that she has been given.

The take-away truth here is that adequate time is needed to fully develop some cheeses. That knowledge tempers my desire to prematurely crack open one of my cheeses.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

FarmerJd

Re: My mellowing Manchego
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »
I was planning a manchego this week so i am glad you posted this. Did you follow the same basic process as the recipe on this site? I guess it needs to age 6 months or more, right?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
Boofer - Your Manchego looks fantastic and very unique. Where did you find the Yorkie shaped hoop?  ;)

Sometimes a little more aging makes all the difference in the world. I cut into most of my cheeses at 90 days, save a 1/4, then re-vacuum bag the rest and put it back in the cave. I figure if their good at 90, they'll be great later on. Vacuum bagging is a LOT easier than re-waxing cut cheeses.

FYI - With brined cheeses the salt, initially concentrated in the rind, is constantly trying to find equilibrium and eventually spreads evenly throughout the cheese. If you eat a brined cheese too early, they tend to taste salty and a little sour.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:07:59 AM »
Congrats Boofer! Manchego is one of m favorite cheese to make in a very short time it is really good! Some cheeses really need 6 to 8 months to develop but I have eatten small Manchegos at a few months that were very good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:08:33 AM »
BTW I LOVE your pup he is soooooooooo cute! I want one!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:16 AM »
Debi - Knickie turned 3 in August and she is a little darling. Part of her normal diet is cottage cheese, but her nose really starts to twitch when she smells the Manchego being cut. It even gets her out of a deep sleep. She is from a single pup litter. She got all the good and bad traits. She loves to run. And to play.

I really am looking forward to an improved version of Manchego. It was one of my first cheese efforts and I have learned a lot since then.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »
FarmerJd - Yes, the recipe here seemed to work just fine. I think I hurried the lipase and didn't let it set for the prescribed time, but that doesn't seem to have bothered it.

Like I said, my impressions when I first cracked it weren't really positive. Time changed that.

I was in the store yesterday and looked at a commercial Manchego wedge...$19.99 per pound!!  :o

Thank goodness I now have the ability to modify that cost and enjoy Manchego on my terms.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »
That $19 price tag is why Manchego is one of my most requested cheeses. Years ago it was parmensan nad Romano they are pretty cheap in comparison.