Author Topic: Nantucket Basket Molds  (Read 8832 times)

Tropit

Nantucket Basket Molds
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »
As you can see from recent threads, I am always looking for interesting ways to mold and present my cheese.  I found these sturdy Nantucket baskets on Ebay and they were all pretty cheap, ranging from $4.49-5.99 each.  Some have handles, which I might have to take off.  They range in size from about 4" to 10" in diameter.  They're strong, can withstand sterilizing and wash up easily.

I've used the small one once and I ended up with a nice, little, Edam-shaped cheese that I covered in p. candidum and a couple of leaves (like Kelley did...thanks for that idea Kelley!)  I'm still waiting for the larger baskets to arrive.  As soon as I can sneak the camera away from my hubby, I'll take pix.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Nantucket Basket Molds
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:41:44 PM »
Are these plastic weave? Seems like wood might be hard to sterilize.

Tropit

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:38:34 PM »
They're a split hardwood.  I'm guessing maple.  I think that if they're steamed first, then starsanned, they should be fine.  People have been making cheese in baskets for thousands of years, so I'm willing to chance it.  Also, I won't be using them every day, ust once in awhile, so there won't be a build-up of milkstone.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »
I think I may try this too. With the hard woods you can oil them and then use them and they take up very little moisture. Just like with cutting boards or wooden spoons. I always boil my wood stuff because the boiling brings out the stuff trapped inside. I think the surface design on the cheese might be really unique.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »
What kind of oil would you use? Linseed? Has to be food grade.

FarmerJd

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:45:48 AM »
olive or mineral

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 01:53:47 AM »

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 03:55:49 AM »
What kind of cheese would you do in these? Use with cheesecloth? The pattern is very cool. I would hate to lose too much in the finished cheese. But it seems it would stick too much without cheesecloth.

FarmerJd

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 05:18:37 AM »
I was thinking you could use cheesecloth and cut a follower the right size and place the whole thing under the press and then the pattern would probably imprint through the cloth. Worth a shot. You would have built in weeping holes.

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 05:28:53 AM »
You could also use it just as a shaping form. Press the cheese in a normal mold so the curds knit together, and then put the young cheese in the basket mold to leave the impression. This requires using a very similar sized mold as the basket.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
I am thinking a more traditional looking Manchego they are made in weaved baskets.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 05:20:34 PM »
But HOW would you press the Manchego to maximize the weave pattern?

Alex

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »
Traditional Manchego is made with an adjustable mould made from the Esparto Grass that contributes to the taste as well.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 03:05:30 AM »
Thanks Alex. Wood will have to do here though.

Sailor - I would press like I always do. First few presses with cheese cloth until well formed then remove the cloth and press alone. It's the only way I can get all the wrinkles and lines out.

Tropit

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 02:24:41 PM »
I used cheesecloth and I still got a nice impression.  I didn't use any weight...these were cam type cheeses that I made.  Now, the basket impression is starting to fade, due to the mold growth.  I think that to keep things clean, I would always use cheesecloth.

Ohhhh....I covet that Manchego grass mold!  I had thought of using lemongrass to make a mat.  Maybe I'll try fashioning it into a Manchego mold.  Thanks for that pic!  Now, if my dogs would stop eating all of my lemongrass, I'd be all set.  They love the stuff!