Author Topic: Tea's Parmesan attempt.......how did it go?  (Read 5373 times)

Likesspace

Re: Tea's Parmesan attempt.......how did it go?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 12:01:32 AM »
Wayne, that cheese looks fantastic!
If you are going to mail me a piece, I want one off of this wheel instead of the one you said tastes spoiled.  ;D
Honestly from what I can see in the pics the cheese looks exactly like what I've bought at our local cheese shop and if the taste is anything close to that you have a lot of goodness there.
I do have a question for you (Tea or any others)......
My parmesan had a nice almost plastic feeling rind on it after about 2 weeks in the cave. This was before I added a humidifier.
My humidity was running in the low 40's to mid 50's depending on how often the fridge ran, before adding the humidifier. Now that I've added the humidifier I am running about 70 - 75% humidity and my wheel of parm is doing something weird.
A few days ago I noticed a small white/wet spot on the cheese. It was like the rind had opened up to reveal the "meat" of the cheese underneath.
Well now about a week later I have seen this spot spread around the perimeter of the wheel and it's obvious that the wheel is weeping whey.
I wonder why this would happen AFTER I added humidity to the cave? I mean if the rind was going to open up, shouldn't it have done so because of low humidity, not high?
I have put two digital thermometers/hygrometers in the cave and although there is a slight difference in the temperature the humidity reading is pretty much exact on both gauges.
This has me confused and if you (or others) have any insight I'd like to hear it.
I want MY wheel of parm to turn out like YOURS.
Thanks for showing the pics and congratulations.

Dave

wharris

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 12:06:05 AM »
Original thread:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1021.0.html

My Parms weeped for week/ months.  Got all moldy, then I cleaned them.

I would simply salt and oil the rind about once a week. 

It might be that you notice the whey now that it is not immediatly evaporating.......
I dunno really.  Just speculation.

PM me your address and I will send you a slice....

Likesspace

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 01:02:54 AM »
Wayne, thanks for the information and advice. I don't want this one to go bad since it's my third attempt at a parm with the previous two being failures.
As for your offer of a slice....well that's just too good to pass up. Check your messages and thanks.

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 02:08:30 AM »
Way to go Wayne! That's a great looking parm!  The older it gets the stronger it gets. A good grating parm should have a bite to it almost like pepper and kind of waif through your nostrils.

Tea

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »
Well I have to admit that I only made a small cheese, but I have very little whey come out of mine at all.
Mine is still wrapped in the fridge doing it's thing.   ;)  Think I might go and check everything is alright.

Likesspace

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »
Tea,
My parm has now stopped weeping and the rind is healing itself back to it's original form. I still don't know why it decided to start losing whey but it seems to have done no lasting damage.

Wayne,
My daughter tells me that the package arrived today so I'm looking forward to giving your parm a try.
I'm playing racquetball after work but should be home in the 7:00 range and will send you a message.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 05:14:02 AM »
Maybe the rind was to dry to let the whey release and once it got moist again it begin to weep with joy!