Author Topic: Penicillium candidum - What Cheeses Can Be Made?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Gustav

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Penicillium candidum - What Cheeses Can Be Made?
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »
Are there any other cheese that one can make with the above mentioned mold spores & can you supply the recioe please.
I wan to make something other than Brie & Camembert.
Melkman se kind.

Offline Seattle Slim

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Penicillium candidum - What Cheeses Can Be Made?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
I've made Pouligny St. Pierre, Valencay, Chaource, and Sel Sur Cher using penicillium candidum.  Recipes are in Debra Amrein-Boyes 200 Homemade Cheese Recipes.

Offline Gustav

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
I don't have any of those recipes. Can you maybe atach the docs for me if you don't mind. I would like to make them.

Thnx!
Melkman se kind.

Offline dthelmers

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
    • Homely Arts
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:50:40 AM »
Gustav,
Can you get a copy of Debra Amrein-Boyes book"200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes" where you are? I see that you like making a variety of cheese, and I think that you would get a lot out of her book. I've used mine so much it looks like it's years old, though quite new. I could see you making everything in her book! Glad to see trying so many new cheese, you're an inspiration
Dave in CT
Dave in CT

Offline Gustav

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
I will see if I can get it here at Exclusive books or something.
I'm on a mission to make as many different types of cheese before the end of the year!
I make alot of other stuff as well. Here is what I made so far. Let me know what else there is to make. lol ;D
I already made cottge cheese, cream cheese, ricotta, gouda, cheddar, emmenthal, swiss, maasdammer, jarlsberg, parmesan, mascarpone, mozzarella, feta, halloumi cheese, brie, camembert. Then I made some yogurt, probiotic yogurt, drinking yogurt, condensed milk, evaporated milk, amasi, mageu, butter, cultured butter, buttermilk, cultured buttermilk, cheese spread, umm... I think that's it, unless I'm missing something.

I'm still busy making other cheese that's not on this list.
I'm at the point of really understanding the science behind this & i'm playing/combining my own cultures for cheese. Making my own cheese now.

Luckily I have enough milk to tdo this.

I'm reading dairy chemistry & biochemistry. It's quite large(About 400 pages) If you msg me ur mail, I'll mail it for you. & it helped me understand the science very well. I suggest anyone to read it as it will make you a pro I'm sure.
Melkman se kind.

Offline Tomer1

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 33
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:39:54 PM »
PC can really put an interested turn on semi hard washed curd cheeses with natural rind  like tomme without accually softening the paste.
Amatuar winemaker,baker, cook and musician
not in any particular order.

Online ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 41
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
Tomer, interesting you're mentioning this.  This very moment, in some conversation with Pav, working to find a PC that will work well with my tomme grise.  Good example here:

- Paul

Offline simbiotic

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »
Gustav,
You have made a lot of cheese .
I am trying to do the same make as many as possible.
Can you please post me your cream cheese recipe as I have been trying to find a good one,
Thanks

Offline Gustav

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 01:16:30 AM »
No problem, here is the one I use.

Just be careful if you mix in the salt & other herbs & stuff afterwards so that you don't turn the cheese into butter. ;D

I follow this recipe, but I don't use only cream, I use half the cream the recipe calls for & the other half I replace with full cream milk. This helps with the blending afterwards.

Ingredients
1/2 Gallon Fresh Cream (1.89L)
4 oz. Mesophilic Starter Culture (118ml)
1/4 tab Rennet (or 0.7ml vegetarian liquid rennet)
1. Mix 1/2 gallon fresh cream with 4 oz. of mesophilic starter.
2. Mix 1/4 tab Rennet into two tablespoons of COOL water. Mix this into the milk thoroughly using a whisk and stirring for at least 5 minutes.
3. Cover and set aside to ripen for about 12-15 hours at room temp (70°F / 21°C).
4. The milk should be a firm curd within 15 hours, however the full 12-15 hours is needed to develop the correct flavour.
5. After 12-15 hours, gently ladle the curds into a colander lined with a FINE cheese cloth.
6. Allow the curds to drain for awhile then tie the four corners of the cloth together. Hang it to drain 6-8 hours.
7. After the curds have drained, place the curds into a small bowl.
8. Mix by hand until pasty.
9. Add salt, herbs, etc. to taste.
Place the cheese into a sealable container into a refrigerator. The cheese will firm up a little once under refrigeration.
Melkman se kind.

Offline sprocket

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »
Tomer, interesting you're mentioning this.  This very moment, in some conversation with Pav, working to find a PC that will work well with my tomme grise.  Good example here:

ArnaudForestier - Is this a picture of one of your Tomme Grises?  It looks amazing!  What sorts of rind development/affinage techniques did you use?