Author Topic: July 4th US Independance Day Surprise Old Dutch Cheese Tasting  (Read 4279 times)

Cheese Head

Yesterday was July 4th here in Houston Texas for my American friends and I went to a block & friends 4th July Party at neighbors with beer keg and pool volleyball, lots of fun.

One neighbors father who attended it turns out has been hobby making cheese for years, not always successfully as he put it. We compared notes and as I was across the street I showed him my cheese stash (Cheese Cave) and this website, hopefully he may join this forum. I've never met anyone who also makes cheese and it was great to be able to talk to someone face to face about it. He knows a lot about cheese making and hopefully will join this forum.

Anyway, his son had brought him back some cheeses from Nederland's main airport called Schiphol and so we went on a second little diversion to his son's house to have a little beer and cheese tasting 8).

The aged Rembrandt was gorgeous and full of wonderful flavors and when I searched on google, the 2004 World Cheese Champion whish I think is in Wisconsin, USA.

The Gouda, marked overjarig (over aged?) and volvet or full fat with 48+ % fat, was he thought at least 4 years as it had been aging an extra year inside a plastic bag at the back of his son's fridge! It was very hard to cut almost like a hard parmesan and was delicious like merlin found in a review in this forum and it had the small salty crystals that some people talk about.

Wish you all were here, night ended with lots of fireworks.

So now I think I should buy a few nice cheeses and hide them at the back of the fridge for an extra year or two . . .
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:09:15 AM by Cheese Head »

DaggerDoggie

Re: July 4th US Independance Day Surprise Old Dutch Cheese Tasting
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »
That cheese really looks great!  Bet it tasted better.

Spent my weekend camping the the Adirondacks.  Did some mountainbiking, kayaking and saw some nice fireworks. ;D