Author Topic: A real cheese cave in side of hill? Anyone have one?  (Read 2975 times)

Tropit

A real cheese cave in side of hill? Anyone have one?
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »
I would love to put my son and DH to work and have them build us a real cheese & wine cave into a hillside.  Has anyone ever tried this?  What is required?  Plans? Tips?

Cheese Head

Re: A real cheese cave in side of hill? Anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
No clue but a couple of people have thought or done it that you could send a PM to:
1) Goatherdess
2) There was someone with a physical rick cave but I couldn't find the post, sorry.
3) Here's another idea from Brian.

Also in this board is some info.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »
My wife keeps telling me I should build a Hobbit cave into our hillside. Ohhhh honey. Don't tempt me.  ::)

GBoyd

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 11:09:06 PM »
Didn't I read of a commercial operation that is digging a cave out of solid rock?

It was on the site recently. Apparently that plan replaced a plan to use a retired shipping container underground.

Tropit

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
I have seen wine cellars done with shipping containers.  Houses too.  I think there's probably a book out there, somewhere, that offers a 1000 +1 uses for shipping containers.  I s'pose it's not a bad idea...really.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »
I have built and consulted on a number of caves and underground aging areas.  For it to be done right requires significant time and effort.  I would say 50% of the caves I have seen as miserable failures beyond redemption.  They have wild temperature fluculations and incorrect airflow/ventilation.  Another 45% have rectifiable major flaws.  The last 5% were built on multi-million dollar budgets, incorporate sophisticated temperature control systems and work beautifully.

It is possible to build a cave in a hill side and have it work beautifully but, unfortunately, most small producers who are doing this lack the expertise or funds to hire epxertise to make it work.