Author Topic: Using a cellar  (Read 1487 times)

Parselmouth

Using a cellar
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »
My husband's parents have a cellar which I am thinking of using to ripen my cheeses, I went down there yesterday to have a look and there is plenty of space, it's dry and secure, but I wondered what issues I need to be aware of before putting any of my cheese down there?

It seems quite dry, I wonder whether it might not be humid enough? It's also quite dusty and cobwebby, and I don't really fancy having to clean it or paint it, would that be necessary if the racking had covers to prevent dust falling on the cheeses?

Any other thoughts on what I might need to know to make use of this resource? Thanks

Alex

Re: Using a cellar
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
To my opinion, only covers above the racks will not be enough. You said it's a dusty place, so when you move/go in the cellar you may cause dust to blow up and settle everywhere. You say the place is dry, what do you mean by that? An ageing cave has to be humid. You also have to take measures for an adequate ventilation, air should circulate in the cave. The least you should do, a very thorough cleaning.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »
Maybe you could build a box or get a fridge to put down there.

Parselmouth

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:28:25 AM »
I have ordered one of those mini greenhouses to put down there, which is basically some racking with clear plastic cover. The floor is open which might be a drawback, but I can probably get around that with a plastic tray, which may help with the humidity issue if I can put a little water in it.

There is a window in the cellar which can be opened. It's not too dusty down there, just a bit gritty from building works done a year or two back, so I won't be stirring up lots of old house dust. Luckily it is quite spacious and currently empty.