Author Topic: Cantal - The French Cheddar (a VERY odd cheese)  (Read 9083 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Cantal - The French Cheddar (a VERY odd cheese)
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:11:21 AM »
I've been making this one since Thursday and must say this is the strangest cheese that I have made.

Recipe came from 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes (p. 245). "It is often referred to as the French Cheddar because, of all the French cheeses, it is the only one made using a process that is similar to the one used to make cheddar."

OK.... sort of.

This is a really easy and quick cheese to make ...sort of. Heat milk to 86, add Meso, ripen 15  minutes, add rennet, set for 1 hour, cut to pea sized curds, set for 5 minutes, and drain in a cloth lined colander. NOTE - this is an uncooked cheese and because of the high moisture content, this makes a HUGE mass of curds, even after draining.

Now the fun begins. Let the curds form a spongy mass, then cut into slabs. These do NOT get cooked, stacked or "cheddared". Press at light pressure for 12 hours. (I had to use an 8" hoop because there were so many curds). Flip, redress and press lightly for ANOTHER 12 hours. NOW, you break the pressed wheel into 1 inch cubes and salt like a cheddar. I can tell you, after 24 hours, the curds definitely had developed a sharp acidic taste. After salting, it goes back into the hoop and presses under HEAVY pressure for 36 to 48 hours. Flip 3 or 4 times during the first 24 hours. After a total of 3 days in the press, the cheese lost about 75% of it's original volume. It is about 1/3 shorter than my traditional Cheddars.

Very odd, but I somehow suspect this is going to be a great tasting cheese.

FarmerJd

Re: Cantal - The French Cheddar (a VERY odd cheese)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:35:09 AM »
Wow, I've got to try that one.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:47:36 AM »
You cut up the curds 12 hours later then press? Aren't they kind of cold and hard by then?

I just check a recipe I converted from some other language andit does say to do that but this one says mill the curds to 1/4 inch. Does sound odd for sure.

GBoyd

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 05:28:29 AM »
That's very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Did the curds knit together well again after milling?
How long do you plan to age it?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:37:21 AM »
You cut up the curds 12 hours later then press? Aren't they kind of cold and hard by then?

Actually, it's two pressings of 1 hours each for a total of 24 hours, and then mill the curds. So, yes, they are stone cold. Needs even more pressure than cheddar to knit together well. A simple, but very interesting cheese. Calls for aging 3 to 6 months.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 02:36:36 AM »
I would guess this would need Carters super press! I have to get around to build my press sometime soon. Just hasn't been high on my list as long as I can pile stuff on top to press my cheeses.  :D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:12:35 AM »
Pressing this cheese is definitely not for sissies. ::) I used 120 pounds (3 psi) for 24 hours and 160 pounds (3.9 psi) for the next 24 hours on a 7.5" tomme hoop. Based on the way the salted curds melded together, I would not use any less.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »
Deb - I will definitely mill the curds much smaller than 1" next time.

wharris

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »
Is the pH in this cheese allowed to drop unabated?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:45:07 AM »
Yep. That's the wild thing about this cheese - 24 hours of light pressing before salting. Like Meso bacteria and pH gone wild. The recipe goes out of it's way to say "This time is important for developing the flavor of the cheese".

The wheel is about 1/3 shorter than my cheddars. It is very dense and heavy feeling but interestingly still has a very elastic feel. The wonderful buttery aroma seems very concentrated.

Bella

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 03:35:39 AM »
Hi Sailor
I have made this cheese 4 times using the recipe from Ricki Carroll's website and approximately 13-15 litres of raw milk.

Yes, it does make a huge mass of curd!!! I put mine into cheesecloth in a perforated Gastronorm pan with another pan on top with about 4 kg of weight for several hours forming a slab (i.e. II cut the slab to facilitate draining and turned them over in the pan and replaced the weights). I then broke it up into small pieces and salted them, leaving overnight.

Next day, I pressed with about 16kg for 48 hours. The curds do knit pretty well, but the outside of the cheese retains a look as though the knit hasn't been quite perfect.

For the first cheese, I cut it about 6 weeks, but it was far too young, so re-sealed in a vacuum pack and left another two months. It is a wonderful, creamy cheese, and for some of my friends, it is a fave! I haven't been able to let it go any longer than that as it is demand.

You may recall a thread I started a few weeks back on Tomme Blanche - it is Cantal that is used for this, and it is eaten within days of making. My French neighbour thought it a bit hard (I gave it to him the day it came out of the press), so I am going to make him another one and press only for one day this time. I'll keep you informed.  Here is the only photo I have of a finished cheese, my second. The third and fourth went so quickly, I didn't get a chance to take a photo!!!
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 04:36:48 AM »
That does look buttery. Yummy to. That's way more weight/pressure than I can generate at this point.

Alex

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 05:40:56 AM »
Saillor

What was the ambient temperature during so many hours of making the cheese?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
Bella - Great photo. I was going to take one tonight, but your cut cheese looks so much nicer. Your observation on the curd knitting is helpful. Like yours, the outside of mine has an imperfect look, but I know it's fine. After drying, I coated it in Olive Oil and will age it about 30 days. Then I will vacuum bag and let it age "some more" (however much I can stand). :D

I will look at Carroll's recipe and compare it to the one I used. Right off the bat I see some major differences. I did a light pressing for a full 24 hours before salting. You only pressed for "several hours". You salted and then left them overnight WITHOUT pressing??? I started heavy pressing immediately after salting.

The really nice thing about Cantal is it is SO quick to make even on a week night. Less than 1-1/2 hours from start to finish including heating the milk up to ripening temp. Of course there's 3 days of pressing after that. :o Because it doesn't take 4 or 5 hours, like a cheddar or a Gouda, this is the perfect "demonstration" hard cheese to do for friends or a one day class.

Alex - The ambient temperature was around 68F (room temperature) during 3 days of pressing.

wharris

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 05:57:16 PM »
i am struggling with understanding how this cheese does not end up sour/bitter from the acid.

It sounds like lactic acid development is not stopped either cooking or salting.

If I miss my mark making normal cheddar and my pH drops too low, the cheese is ruined... An that is only takes like 10 minutes of distraction.