Author Topic: Cantal - The French Cheddar (a VERY odd cheese)  (Read 9089 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Cantal - The French Cheddar (a VERY odd cheese)
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 07:29:43 PM »
I'm with you Wayne. That's one of the reasons that I tried it. However the recipes I've looked at are pretty clear. I did test pH during the make, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's such a FAST make that the bacteria really don't have a chance to do much. I wish I had gotten a pH reading of the wheel after the initial 24 hours of light pressing but - I FORGOT. :P  When you think about it, unpressed Blue cheeses are actively acidifying and can drain for several days.

In any cheese, the bacteria are pretty well done in after just a couple of weeks. It is NOT the bacteria that ripen cheese, it is enzymes and proteolysis. Everything, including the acidity level, is just a setup so that the enzymes have the right environment to do their thing. There are MANY cheeses where the pH actually goes way up during aging. I'm sure that's what's going to happen on this one.

Should be interesting. I'll let you know in 6 or 8 weeks.

wharris

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »
Very interesting indeed.  I am very curious to see how this one turns out. 

Do you have a pH meter that can measure the pH of finished cheese?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 02:23:23 AM »
I have an ExTech with a flat head probe. I am usually anal about testing pH. With all the pressing, I just forgot.

MrsKK

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 01:33:33 PM »
Due to your thread here, I decided to buy "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes".  I've been looking for a good cheesemaking book with some unusual cheeses in it and I have to say that I am very pleased with what I've seen so far.  Now, just to start testing out the recipes for myself!

I look forward to hearing how this cheese turns out for you and am thinking of making a batch for myself after Thanksgiving.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Keep a close eye on the recipes Mrs KK I have tried to recipes so far and both had missing info. If you see something that looks odd maybe we should discuss it.

Offline Cheddarhead

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 01:03:36 AM »
Hi all. I've been thinking about making this cheese too. Here is another variation of the recipe that I uploaded to the website I work for. You can click on the page-photos to enlarge them.
Now I don't know which recipe to use, as this one adds the salt in the beginning process, lol. :)

http://www.jonniemasters.com/cantal-cheese-recipe.html

iratherfly

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 02:18:56 AM »
Do you really think 2Tbsp are enough for the curd yield from 2 gallon of milk?
This is missing the rest of the recipe... What's the press and dry times/weights? Do you brine it? Wax it?

Hmmmm... I think I had this book too and forgot it at my friends' place.

Offline Cheddarhead

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 03:58:25 AM »
To respond to: iratherfly.....
I had scanned the book into my pc...other instructions are contained within other chapters. I will look this up, although I do believe they will be the same basic info and instructions that the 'cheese masters'..(peeps here who have been doing this for years) will without equal
already have worked out.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:02:50 PM by Cheddarhead »

Offline Cheddarhead

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »
Okay, i fixed it all up :)
Here is the original recipe page listed above: http://www.jonniemasters.com/cantal-cheese-recipe.html

And here are the techniques: http://www.jonniemasters.com/intermediate-cheese-making-techniques.html

Thanks for pointing out that error, iratherfly :). I become dismayed when only 'half the info' myself :)

Book was called 'Making Artisan Cheeses'

Alynxia
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:56:44 PM by Cheddarhead »

iratherfly

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 03:15:24 AM »
Thanks Cheddarhead!

Gee, 3 to 6 month - brine daily??? Quite a commitment! Shouldn't the brining frequency be reduced after a few days?

Yep, the techniques are pretty standard (and yes, this is the book I left at my friends').

dthelmers

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »
I thought I'd chime in on this old thread for those researching Cantal. I've been making these this past year because the make goes so quickly; much easier to do on week nights. I've tried it as young as six weeks, which was OK but a bit bland and ordinary. At 3 months it comes into it's own, very good. Ate the whole thing instead of wrapping half to age longer as I had intended. Got one in the cave that will be six months in July; I'll report back then. This is an odd make, and it seems counter to good advice, but the cheese is quite good.

Spoons

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »
I've been making these this past year because the make goes so quickly; much easier to do on week nights.

Thanks for this tip dthelmers! I always plan a weekend ahead if I'm making cheese. It would be nice to make a cheese on a weeknight from time to time. How long does the process inside the vat for a Cantal take?

dthelmers

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
Bring milk to heat, ripen 15 minutes, rennet, cut 1 hour later, then drain right away. Pack it into the mold and press it at a fairly light pressure until tomorrow night, then flip and re-wrap. Press at light pressure until the next night. Take it out, mill, salt, and re-pack. Press at everything you can muster and even then make sure the room and the curds are warm. Leave it for two nights in the mold under pressure, then air dry. It tends to dry quickly from being out all this time. I vacuum pack mine to age.