Author Topic: Penicllium candidum - Spraying Formed Cheeses  (Read 1414 times)

Tropit

Penicllium candidum - Spraying Formed Cheeses
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:08:06 PM »
I am interested in experimenting with making a semi-soft cheese, like a brick, or jack, but with a velvety, white rind.  I am suspecting that maybe the p. candidum needs to be sprayed on later in the development of the cheese.  Any ideas?  Tips?

Alex

Re: Penicllium candidum - Spraying Formed Cheeses
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:40:37 PM »
All kinds of cheeses I make with P. Candidum, I inoculate the milk with it at the beginning with all other ingredients. You also have to keep a certain level of salt to enable blooming.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:09:54 PM »
Tropit/Cindy, I have never tried spraying on rehydrated P candidum, instead have added to milk as Alex does or if forgot ::), then just dabbed a little on each cheese with my finger.

Also, in case you missed it, I thought Francois had an excellent comment on P candidum & G candidum.

Tropit

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:50:54 AM »
I usually add mine to the milk in the beginning too.  But this time, I don't want runny cheese, just semi-soft, with a white rind.  I'm even thinking of using both b. linens and p. candidum together, with an emphasis on the p.candidum.  Well...I guess it's back to the la-booor-a-tory for a bit of experimentation.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
As i stated above for the pen. can., the same with the b.linens.
I get perfect results.