Author Topic: My Sweet Edam  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
My Sweet Edam
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
Thank you, Edam.  8)

Thank you for letting me believe that I actually have a clue what I'm doing.  ;)

Last night I cracked 3 cheeses: Colby #2, Gouda #2, and Edam #1. The first two in that line were crumbly and somewhat of a disappointment. Ah, Edam, you are my friend. A simple and unassuming little cheese.

Wow, did I mention the color? Yeegads, this certainly has color!  :o At 14 drops of annatto, the ending color is very orange. Not true to the style in that regard...my bad...mea culpa.

But I like the:
  • texture
  • the multiple small eye formation
  • the salt level (in brine for only 3 hours)
  • the sliceability

Those features renew my faith. Some day I too may be a zencheesemaster.

I put some of that little cheese on a slice of sourdough and toasted it, then added a thin slice of roast beef. The cheese melts very well. Excellent. It shows real promise. I vacuum-sealed the other three quarters and will let them age a little longer.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Baby Chee

Re: My Sweet Edam
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »
That looks incredible.

I haven't been around much since I am just waiting-waiting-waiting on cheeses: 4 small Camembert wheels close to fridge-wrap time, a Limburger going well for 3 weeks, and two giant goudas which are each 3 weeks old today.  Those goudas are each 14.5 gallons, so I'm curious to see how the first one cracks open in another 4 weeks.

Wish I had that Edam right now, though.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:09:52 AM »
Aw Boofer you did so good hon! I am proud of you! It looks wonderful!  The texture looks perfect! :D

wharris

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »
Very very nice looking cheese.  Its nice to have something work out now and again.

congratulations.  Nice job.