Author Topic: Hello from Ohio  (Read 2170 times)

RadioFlyer

Hello from Ohio
« on: November 13, 2009, 03:21:52 AM »
Hi! I stumbled upon this site and I feel like a kid in a candy store, this site is awesome!!
My hubby and I live in SE Ohio and for the last 21 years, have been here on our micro-mini farm of 5 acres. We raise Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats but are very new to dairy goats in general. I am even newer to cheesemaking but I find it fascinating and much fun! I love being able to have my hobby (goats) give something back (in addition to just enjoying them) to us in a form that is so beneficial to us. So far I've only made soft goat cheeses and Feta. I don't plan on going large scale at all but just to make a variety of cheeses for family use.
I better get started reading as there is SO much to learn. Thank you for being here!!

linuxboy

Re: Hello from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 03:56:45 AM »
Hi! I have minis and love them :)... and that's a good looking udder in your profile pic  :D. I have found the search feature to be very useful in finding past discussions.

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:26:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your new hobby. Cheesemaking is addictive!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:58:48 AM »
Welcome aboard RF. There is a lot to learn and many people to learn from so enjoy!

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »
Welcome RF lots of good people here and many dairy goats (not me), congrats on your Chevre & Feta as linuxboy says, Search tool is your friend, there is a How To use it in the FAQ Board.

Here is a good CHR-Hansen culture manufacturer paper on Feta. You don't need all there fancy cultures, many here just use buttermilk as starter culture, also ignore UF milk as that is for large commercial operations where they use denatured (water reduced) milk.

Have fun!

Tea

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »
Good morning RF and welcome to the forum. How blessed you are to have you own supply of fresh milk.

wharris

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 01:47:55 AM »
Welcome to the Forum.
I am up I-77 a ways from you near Cleveland.

vogironface

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:53:25 AM »
Welcome and may we all learn together.

RadioFlyer

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 02:12:50 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm having a blast reading through all the threads! I made my first raw goat milk Mozzerella yesterday and the texture is a bit course and very firm but it tastes awesome. Practice, practice! ;D

Wayne, do you sell your cheese? I would so love to try and nice, finished Camembert. Also, have you been to Leener's? I really want to go there and browse around sometime.

wharris

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 12:34:52 AM »
I go to Leeners all the time.  I know Jim and Eileen very well. Jim is an older guy that is a make version of Deb. I think he has done everything.  That is, he has grilled, smoked, cured, ground, coagulated and fermented anything not "mineral"

I don't make Camebert cheese yet, perhaps someday.

What do you make?

RadioFlyer

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 03:03:21 AM »
I'm so very new to this...so far only Chevre, Lemon cheese, Feta, and Mozzerella. I have only very basic equipment and a whole lot of interest! I can't wait to try cheddar, camembert, and my (so far) favorite, Havarti.
When I go to Leener's, I'll mention that I "met" you here.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 07:59:23 AM »
Welcome Radioflyer!  :)