Newbie at aged cheese

Started by hydromojo, November 13, 2009, 02:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydromojo

Hello,
This is my first attempt at ageing cheese. Any rules of thumb you people think I need to keep in mind ? I've made ricotta, mozzarella, cream cheese and neufchatel earlier, but never done any sort of ageing.
My culture is going to be a simple thermo/meso starter - eiher homemade yogurt or buttermilk.

Thanks in advance!

Raol

Sailor Con Queso

There are lots of different approaches to aging. Waxed, Natural Rind, Vacuum Bagging.....  Depends on the type of cheese and what you are trying to accomplish.

hydromojo

I'm no sure I know what I want as an end product. I'm assuming my limited starter cultures are a downside. All I'm looking at getting at the end of some reasonable (I'm just starting out, so dont think I can wait that long :-P ) time is a cheese that tastes like its been aged.

Sailor Con Queso

"Limited" starter cultures are NOT a downside. You can make some great cheeses with just yogurt or buttermilk as starters. You need to read up quite a bit to know which one. Search the forum and you will find tons of information.

Alex

Quote from: hydromojo on November 13, 2009, 04:08:29 PM
I'm no sure I know what I want as an end product. I'm assuming my limited starter cultures are a downside. All I'm looking at getting at the end of some reasonable (I'm just starting out, so dont think I can wait that long :-P ) time is a cheese that tastes like its been aged.

All my cheeses are made with butter-milk and/or yogourt. They turn out wanderfull. As for ageing you have to decide about the type of cheese. Different cheeses have to be aged accordingly.