Author Topic: My 23rd Cheese Type for the year - Zamorano  (Read 1768 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
My 23rd Cheese Type for the year - Zamorano
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »
This is the 23rd different type of cheese I have made this year out of 29 total batches. Not counting the 10 or so batches of yogurt.   

Someone asked me if I could come up with the recipe for this cheese awhile back I think it was Sailor and after a bit of research this is the recipe I designed based on the area, type of cheese and traditional bacteria found in that region.

I just got around to testing my recipe. So far the raw curds taste rather nice. This cheese uses lipase which is the enzyme that gives Italian and Spanish cheeses that little bite. Should be wonderful in a few months.

Zamorano is a Spanish cheese generally made from sheeps milk. I don't have sheeps milk (although I did locate a source) so I used cows milk. It's hard cheese which is aged about 6 months. The cheeses are rubbed with olive oil, giving the cheese its  dark color and nice natural rind. 

From Wilkipedia "Zamorano has a "very creamy, sweet, savory flavor, with "a hint of piquancy. Others describe it as hardy and nutty. The shape is cylindrical with "a distinctive zigzag pattern,  similar to Castellano or Manchego, which it resembles in taste also."

Here are the two 4 pound cheeses just after pressing. I used a few old plastic paper plate holders to drain them hoping to tranfer the pattern and it left a very almost charateristic pattern on the cheeses. I think I will be using them again.

Tea

Re: My 23rd Cheese Type for the year - Zamorano
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »
I sense that you are on some sort of mission this year.  I certainly looks a great cheese.  Keep us updated.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 11:53:49 PM »
Recipe testing and Christmas presents.  ;D

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »
VERY cool pattern. Looks sort of like an abstract traditional basket weave.