Author Topic: John, this is the year....I'm going to try a Cambozola.  (Read 11523 times)

Bella

Re: John, this is the year....I'm going to try a Cambozola.
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 12:24:11 AM »
Hi Tea
As you requested, here is the blue I made back in November (It's the fifth one using the same recipe from Neil and Carole Willmann's book). It’s the first one that has had any sign of blue on the rind, and it is nicely distributed through the paste. So, it must have been my incompetence with the earlier cheeses and the non-appearance of the blue rather than th quality of the mould.

With this one, I am happy with the appearance, but the blue flavour is a long way on the short side. Perhaps one of these days, I’ll get it right!!
B

Tea

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:03 PM »
Bella that looks wonderful.  Great blueing through the paste too.  Well done.  Are you using blue spores, or the green spores.  The green is supposed to be stronger than the blue.  Maybe that would make the difference for you?

I have decided that I am going to wait until the weather is cooler before I attempt these again, so I will let you know how I go then.

Bella

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »
Hi Tea
I am using the one with 'strong' marked on the bottle, so I guess that's the green one, but it doesn't taste that way. And further, you have to be a little creative with your taste buds to guess that it's even a blue cheese!

But to be honest, I have felt that with all the blues I have made (excpt for the stiltons which have the flavour but not the blue look). I know the recipe says to use 7 drops (as I recall), and I use a lot more than that, but still can't get the flavour to get even close to that in the shop varieties. I made another blue vein yesterday, so hopefully there'll be a better outcome with this one.
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2010, 03:56:48 AM »
That looks prettier than some I saw at the Whole Foods Market!

Bella

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 07:01:40 AM »
Thank you both for your kind words!
B

Tea

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
Bella what size in that cheese?

Bella

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »
Hi Tea
1.8kg made from 17 litres of raw milk
B