Author Topic: Half goat/half cow blue  (Read 4827 times)

mtncheesemaker

Half goat/half cow blue
« on: November 14, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
Here's my 3rd blue cheese attempt (I'm one for two so far).
Started this cheese on 4 Nov with 2 gallons raw whole milk. On the 11th I had my first blue mold appear and some cat hair looking mold. I rubbed the cat's hair with a little salt. Today the blue is much stronger and I rubbed salt into the bad mold again.
I hope I'm not killing the blue mold with the salt and that soon the blue will take over.
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Half goat/half cow blue
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 12:10:47 AM »
It doesn' look like you killed the green mold - it's going to town.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »
Actually it's just a bad photo. All that's left is blue.
Pam

GBoyd

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
I like the look of the texture. Hopefully it will be open enough to allow veining.

Do you have a closeup of that cat hair mold?

I think I've heard Francois warn about that on other threads and I'd like to be able to recognize it quickly if it shows up on any of my cheeses.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
No but if it reappears I'll get one!
It's pretty easy to recognize, as it's kind of long and furry looking, growing out from the cheese, not just on the surface.
Pam

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »
Cut into this blue today.
Nice blue taste without excessive sharpness, creamy texture and good mouthfeel and finish. Can't wait to try it with a glass of my 06 Riesling!
A toast to this forum and all the good people and advice found here!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 03:35:16 AM »
Now that does look tasty and I don't even like blues! Great job Pam!

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:06:52 AM »
Wow! Looks great! MUst taste great also!

Pity we have no taste buds transmission devices! John! Come on! Do something!!! Damn it !

Our blue which is still -what's left- in the fridge to be eaten, also has an ugly coat. This is the way, as far as I know, with blues.

Now I post here a "failure" of a goat blue cheese which turned out absolutely NOT BLUE but delicious and pretty visual. A texture similar to the Boursault... Here it is:

C:\DCIMAGES\Fromages\ChevrePasBleu.JPG

Alex

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »
Cut into this blue today.
Nice blue taste without excessive sharpness, creamy texture and good mouthfeel and finish. Can't wait to try it with a glass of my 06 Riesling!
A toast to this forum and all the good people and advice found here!

Although I don't like blues, this looks very very good, I'd like to taste it, may be I miss something :).

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
Thanks, Alex. I love blues, but some can have an overpowering (to my taste) sharpness. If you can find a creamy type, shave a little on a fresh salad with a vinaigrette dressing, maybe with chicken pieces mixed in. I think you might change your mind if you find the right one!
Michoutim, your non-blue blue looks delicious! What recipe did you use for that?
Pam

Alex

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
Pam, I might be encouraged to take your advice and I'll consider making a soft blue in the future.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
That is a very nice blue.  The rind is excellent.  I would suggest making it in a taller, narrower format.  It will give you a creamier texture than short flat wheel.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 02:20:23 PM »
Thanks, Francois.
I am switching most of my cheeses to a 3 gallon batch, instead of a 2. Gives a better rind:cheese ratio, I think, with the sizes of molds I have.
Cheers,
Pam

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »
@ Pam
I'll dig up the recipe today and I'll send it to you. My husband made it (I bought the kits for myself but he jumped avidly on the "loot", and I have only started "cheesing" a few months ago, never mind, this way he can show me how to do...).

@ Alex
I found out that many people do not like blue cheese because, and only because, they do not like the blue vein which is a bit harsh indeed. If so:
=> Try mixing blue vein with butter and taste it
=> try a Blue Castello or a Blu Bayou type.
=> TRy a bit of blue in a sauce (deglaze the pan with cream and let it thicken, with a dash of blue, it's really nice!)
You may find out that you like it.

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »
Voila Pam!

CHEVRE PAS BLEU / non blue goat 17 01 2008

=> 2 L frozen goat milk + 5 tbsp dried goat milk powder mixed with 500 ml of purified water.
=> Bring all to 30oC
=> Add type B starter * + lipase + blue mould.
=> Wait 1 h keeping the temperature at same level (when it goes down, put the gas on for a few seconds, it will go up very soon)
=> Add 15 drops rennet and wait until firm (45 minutes to 1 hour, keeping temperature at  at 30oC)
=> Cut the curd delicately as usual, 5 x 5 cm or so. And turn the curd again every 5 minutes or so., during 40 minutes, maling sure long pieces are cut more or less to size..
=> Put curd in a Camembert mold, pressing lightly by hand.

==> Next day, unmould and then soak in brine for 90 minutes.
=> Then remove from brine and let it dry at room temperature for the day.
=> Make the holes in the cheese, at 2 cm distance. We will redo the holes from time to time so they do not get blocked. **
=> Put it in wine cooler at 12oC, turning it once a day for the 1st 6 days, then gradually less often. The cheese is stored in an elevated position (I use plastic ventilation grid)in a container with water at the bottom , on a store.

*Lactococcus lactis subspecies cremoris
Lactococcus lactis subspecies lactis
Lactococcus lactis subspecies lactis biovar diacetylactis
et avec ou sans/ with or without  Leuconostoc species.
** we did it once only that's why we got a no blue blue!