Author Topic: Our first Manchego  (Read 3887 times)

LadyLiberty

Our first Manchego
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:28:00 AM »
Now apparently, I don't wax this?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Our first Manchego
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:14:59 AM »
You can if you want to maintain moisture. But I'm not sure on manchego.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:58:06 AM »
I was reading: "Additionally, the cheese is pressed using small wooden boards that leave imprints of wheat-ear patterns on the top and bottom of the product, rendering a unique and earthy appearance."

Would there be a way to do that with home made manchego, and if there is a way, when?  I was thinking that maybe I could get a a placemat that was nicely woven to get an interesting texture.  Would this need to be done during the process of pressing it, which makes sense, or can it be done after it's brined, while it's aging? (wrapping something textured around it).  Carter, I bet you would know. ;)

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »
L.L. great looking cheese, congrats ;D, well so far as I find the toughest part is aging them.

Good idea on imprints, somehow they also get color into the rind, here's a picture I took of Manchego here in Houston with your wheat ear impression.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:29:41 PM »
That looks an interesting rind finish.  Never seen that before.  I wonder how they do that?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »
I've got cauliflower ear.

saycheese

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »
LL - the Manchego looks great.  Will you be coating it with olive oil? How long do you plan to age it?  Did you add some lipase or leave it out?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »
yes on Lipase...

We hadn't planned on Olive oil.  Do you suggest that?  I thought we would age it for 3 months or so.

saycheese

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
LL - I mentioned the olive oil coating because Ricki Carroll recommended it in her recipe, but I haven't had good luck with that myself.  The cheese seems to do well until I put the olive oil on it and then 'poof' , instant mold.  How is your aging process going with the manchego?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »
LL - I mentioned the olive oil coating because Ricki Carroll recommended it in her recipe, but I haven't had good luck with that myself.  The cheese seems to do well until I put the olive oil on it and then 'poof' , instant mold.  How is your aging process going with the manchego?

It's got a rind on it.  We'll be testing it in April.  Xing my fingers. :)