Author Topic: Pepper cheese.  (Read 10436 times)

Tea

Pepper cheese.
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
Here is what I used for this cheese.

5 ltr milk  (As this is to be a harder cheese, I skimmed off as much of the cream as possible.)
100ml type C starter
1/8sp lipase disolved in boiled water
.5ml rennet/2lt milk

Bring the milk to a setting temp of 37c, add starter and rest for 10min.  Add lipase and stir well. Add rennet and stir well.  Allow to det for around 30 mins.
Boil 15gr peppercorns gently for around 15 mins, and set aside.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:31:52 PM by Tea »

Tea

Re: Pepper cheese.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
Cut curd into 1/4in cubes and let stand for 5 min.
Heat slowly over the next hour bring the temp to 45c while stirring.  Stir for another 30 mins.

Drain off whey to curd level the add the peppercorns and water and stir well.
Pour curds into hoops, (lined or not).  Press for one hour remove and turn over.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:27:29 PM »
Press over night using 10-20kg weight.
Place in a saturated brine solution next day for 8 hours at a temp of 12-15c.
Allow cheese to dry, coat with plastic cheese coat and wax.  Store at 10-15c for 2.  Can be stored upto 12 months.

Cheese Head

Pepper cheese.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:55:16 AM »
Tea, I like your idea of the Peppercorn Cheese. You made me remember that I used to make Peppercorn Bread also with whole Peppercorns years ago. Delicious and wonderful hit when you bit into a peppercorn. I never boiled mine for bread making, probably a good idea to do so.

So you cooked your curds at 45 C/113 F with your Type C Thermophilic Culture, more like an italian type cheese, good.

Wow but you sealed them with wax fast, reg waits a couple weeks. If you don't get moisture buildup then it proves that I'm not getting enough whey out of my pressed cheeses as I got all that water between the bags and the cheeses.

Love that bumped sides biker look from your mold ;D.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 04:42:34 AM »
I am doing this for my maltese friend, they love pepper cheeses, so I thought I would give this a go as a thankyou.
The cheese is not sealed yet, it had to be brined at 10-15c for 8 hours, so that's them in the cave brining.
Then they will dry for a few days, we'll see maybe longer, then I will wax them.
Surprisingly they are already quite hard to touch already.  They are going to be medium to hard cheese when finished I think.
I love the biker look too, although the kids told me it looks like the have the goose bumps.  Personally I think I prefer the biker look.   ;)

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:51:11 AM »
OK, the info above was more the recipe than your records and you haven't sealed yet.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
Tea, you are becoming quite masterful at this cheese making thing.  Again, they look like they came out great!

Tea

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »
Thankyou Dagger, that brought a smile to my face.
Once I decide to have a go at something I usually give it my best, and I know that if I don't do it through winter, it will be pointless trying to do it through summer.

That is of course, unless I can impress my husband enough with my cheeses, that I can presuade him to set me up a better cave for summer.

What do you think my chances are?

Tea

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »
You made me remember that I used to make Peppercorn Bread also with whole Peppercorns years ago.
You make bread too??  Does your wife know the treasure that she holds??
Note to web master; we need one of those swoon smilies.

That's excellent, we might have to also exchange bread recipes too.  I still make atleast two loaves of bread by hand each week, the other times I usually use the bread machine.  A bit slack I know, but it saves me time.

So ... your pepper bread, how does it go??

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:37 PM »
Used to make it 7-8 years ago when my family and I lived in Brunei beside Malaysia in SE Asia, only bread there was sweet white pre-sliced party bread. No real recipe, used a bread machine and mostly white flour as that was all we could get (would have to freeze the flour and sift it for bugs :o). Added dark flour and grains for texture and towards end of kneeding cycle add a handful of normally black peppercorns (which they grow in Malaysia) so that don't get too beaten up / cracked. Didn't boil first to soften. Worked fine, bread was nice and mild except for the great little bursts of pepper when you crunched one, surprise!

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:27:35 PM »
PS, sadly I now don't make any bread as too easy to buy nice bread here, maybe I should start again so I could have nice Ploughman's Lunch.

I want to make the smilies better, jsut need time . . .

reg

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »
its amazing how some of us have the same interests. bread, cheese, BBQ. ya gotta love it

reg

Tea

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 08:50:27 PM »
Ok I am experiementing again.  Made this recipe on Sunday sans the peppercorns, but added liquid smoke just before I poured into moulds.  I added @ 1/4tsp, as this stuff is strong, but I really think that I could have added more.  They have been brined for 8hrs, and are now drying before I will wax and age for 1-2 months.

chilipepper

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:22:50 AM »
Tea, those look really cool but I have one question: What kind of mold is that and how did you possibly get those out without shearing off all the little nubs??

It will be interesting to see how the liquid smoke developes while aging... will it increase or decrease in strength?

Tea

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »
Thanks Chili, they were formed in my camembert moulds.  As they are a farily thick mould they are able to take the pressure.  This is a hard cheese, and the curd after pressing if quite rubbery, but I too was surprised when the nubs stayed on like they did, as it was quite hard to get the cheese out of the mould.

At the moment the lipase smell is the predominate one, with the smoke in the background.  I will probably wax either this afternoon or tomorrow, depending on how they are drying.