Author Topic: Pepper cheese.  (Read 10435 times)

saycheese

Re: Pepper cheese.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
Tea, the little nubs are going to look interesting once the cheese is waxed.  Could you post a picture?  Nice cheeses though, how long are you going to age them?

Tea

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 11:24:41 PM »
Well how about that.  I just waxed these this morning and took some pics.  Must have know  :D

I hope to age these for 2 months.  The lipase is still prevelent.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 04:29:01 AM »
Sorry if I missed something but how do you know the lipase is prevelant?

Cheese Head

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:44 PM »
Ditto Carter's post, my sense of smell isn't great but I find Lipase isn't a smell but more a resultant taste in the final product.

Also did you rehydrate your Lipase powder for 30 minutes like in some guides or just add direct like in most recipes?

BTW, weird punk looking cheeses ;D.

saycheese

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 12:30:07 AM »
Yes, you can smell the lipase.  It has a kind of sharp sour smell to me.  I'm opening myself up here for some comments but, my husband says women's sense of smell seems to be more sensitive then men's-- not sure why, but it may be true.

Likesspace

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 03:06:31 AM »
Saycheese...
I'm with you. I can not only taste the lipase, I can smell it very strongly in my cheeses.
When I add it to provolone I usually hang the provolone from a lid and let it hang down into one of my cheese pots. The gives me a convienant hanging place and also keeps a high humidity on the cheese.
When I lift this lid to check the cheese the smell of lipase is nearly overpowering.
Now I wonder if I'm using too much of this in my cheese.
How much lipase does everyone use per gallon on say a provolone, mozzarella or other cheese that calls for this addition?

Dave

saycheese

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 05:29:47 AM »
I used 1/4 tsp for a gallon of milk in a recipe for manchego from Bob Peak of The Beverage People.  It was too strong for my husband but I thought it was tasty -- although a bit on the sour side.  I noticed that Ricki Carroll's manchego recipe called for 1/4 tsp in 2 gallons of milk so Bob's recipe had double the amount.  I do believe it is a matter of personal taste -- you can certainly make a cheese without it but it won't have the same ZIP.

Tea

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 06:20:17 AM »
Yes I am refering to the smell.  Everyone know when I am making feta too because of the smell.

Saycheese, apparently there is a mild and a strong lipase, maybe your's is the stronger variety.  I use about the same quantity as you do, and I can't say that the smell or flavour is over powering, but it is definately there.

saycheese

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 05:08:51 PM »
Hi Tea,
I've been using Italase from Cheesemaking.com -- which I assume is the Italian lipase.  I think it is the milder one, but I might be mistaken.