Author Topic: Vat - Stainless Steel Stockpot Recommendations?  (Read 2401 times)

humble_servant7

Vat - Stainless Steel Stockpot Recommendations?
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
Any Stainless Steel pots one can recommend me that wont break me out of house and home?

I had read the first couple of pages, and it seems there was a problem with the pots (i.e. not holding the correct amount of quarts, etc.)

Hell, someone even recommended that it have a "baldless valve" or something for draining.
Can you guys please elaborate on that?

So far, this site looks good:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=2318

Likesspace

Re: Vat - Stainless Steel Stockpot Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:39:40 AM »
Humble_Servant....
I found mine at our local Wal Mart store for somewhere in the $55.00 range.
It's a heavy bottomed stainless pot that will hold right at 6 gallons.
All in all I really like it although I would like for it to be just a tad larger. When I make a Swiss I like to use 6 gallons of milk and that amount fills this pot to the limit.
If this is out of your price range I started out with a $20 set also from Walmart.
These are very inexpensive, thin walled pots that will work for awhile.
The problem that I've found with these is that the rivets that hold the handle are either NOT stainless steel or a very cheap grade of stainless steel. Because of that they will cause problems over time (leaking around the rivets).
Even though that is the case, I used mine for 3 years before upgrading and still use them to sanitize cheese cloth and for whey drainage. All in all they have been a great value.
Another benefit to this set is that it's easy to make a double boiler since they are stackable. Simply use one of the smaller pots inside one of the larger ones and you are ready to go.
Hope this information helps.

Dave

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »
For my five gallon batches of cheese, I use my SS canner.  The metal is thin enough that I can't use direct heat, so I set it inside another canner that is just a bit wider and put water in it for a double-boiler.

When I make 2 1/2 gallon batches, I use my 12-quart SS pot that is heavier.

I purchased both of these long enough ago that I no longer recall how much I spent on them, but I know they weren't too pricey.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:15:04 AM »
Only things to add are:
  • First, you really need to think what size cheeses you want to make.
  • Second, do you want to go stockpot style or chaffing dish like member Debi, for smaller sizes it does have advantages of draining curds to side and layering for cheddaring.
  • Third, if you go stockpot, double boiler or single, if single like mine then you really want a heavy weight bottom to distribute the heat, especially if you are not using gas.

I really like ones with valve to drain whey from but way to expensive.

The stockpot you linked is 7 US gallons, so you'll probably get 6 US gallon batches in it, good size, how thick is the bottom?

Good luck with your decision.

humble_servant7

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:36:49 PM »
Only things to add are:
  • First, you really need to think what size cheeses you want to make.
  • Second, do you want to go stockpot style or chaffing dish like member Debi, for smaller sizes it does have advantages of draining curds to side and layering for cheddaring.
  • Third, if you go stockpot, double boiler or single, if single like mine then you really want a heavy weight bottom to distribute the heat, especially if you are not using gas.

I really like ones with valve to drain whey from but way to expensive.

The stockpot you linked is 7 US gallons, so you'll probably get 6 US gallon batches in it, good size, how thick is the bottom?

Good luck with your decision.

This is a really good post. So Royal Industries is where you got this from? How would you rate the performance of this pot out of 10? Are you genuinely happy with your purchase?

I went to the link, but they dont seem to have any prices listed. What gives?

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 04:33:47 AM »
Royale is the importer, the pots retail through several on line stores here in USA. I bought mine at Instawares.com and found a free shipping coupon on web somewhere.

Basically member Wayne bought a 100 quart one (link is in my review thread) and recommended it. He uses a water bath, I don't thus the thick bottom was important to me for dissipating heat.

In that other thread I wrote what I thought of it. Still very happy, I'd say 8/10, which is very good for the price.