Author Topic: Drying Mats-- Unnecessary? Recs?  (Read 2016 times)

humble_servant7

Drying Mats-- Unnecessary? Recs?
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »
Are these REALLY needed?

And if so, can I get any recommendations?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Drying Mats-- Unnecessary? Recs?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:30:12 AM »
Yes. Air needs to circulate all around and moisture needs to be able to drain out the bottom of the cheese.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:35:41 AM »
I will second that. Call them what you will you need air flow all around the cheese.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »
Rahul, for most cheeses they are necessary to support the young soft cheese while young and drying and need to be placed on wir rack to allow draining whey to be moved away from cheese. Too many time I've put cheese on mat in plastic container ad then get whey stagnating directly beneath cheese which is a location for yeasts and especially not good if making a P candidum white mold cheese as that won't grow on that side as mold doesn't "like to have it's feet in water".

On what type of mats, I like foor grade plastic mesh, there's general talk here, rubber mats here, some Aussie ones here, McMaster.com ones here, and Bamboo sushi mats talk here.

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 10:20:54 AM »
I use wicker paper plate holders.  I got them cheap at a thrift store (10 for a buck).  I scrub them with diluted bleach after I'm done with a cheese and use vinegar and salt to scrub them if they get a bit of mold on them when I've got a cheese draining on one.

I think they work great.