Author Topic: Curd Cutter - Recomendations  (Read 5832 times)

humble_servant7

Curd Cutter - Recomendations
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »
Alright guys.

So I plan on just shelling out the moo-lah to get one of these expensive curd knives from Carter-- what size should I get and how many to ensure that I will be able to make almost every cheese in the book to my heart's content.

I hope one or two should suffice. I should be able to cut vertically by hand.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Curd Cutter - Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 01:59:27 AM »
I thought Carter stopped making them? I could be wrong. I would get 1 size and 1 inch and hold the knife at a different height.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 02:37:51 AM »
I'm not sure what he is charging you, but typically his are better built, and much cheaper than any others I have seen here.

humble_servant7

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 04:28:49 AM »
I thought Carter stopped making them? I could be wrong.

Well, apparently-- this is his site:
http://www.thecheesewhey.com/knife.htm

I think.

I would get 1 size and 1 inch and hold the knife at a different height.

Ah, this is a very good suggestion. I was just pondering whether or not this would work.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:53:08 AM »
Last time I popped in there he had a note that he wasn't making them anymore. Glad he's back he does wonderful work. Quite the craftman!

humble_servant7

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »
Last time I popped in there he had a note that he wasn't making them anymore. Glad he's back he does wonderful work. Quite the craftman!

HE has a note on there somewhere?

Well, I'm sorry-- I didnt know that.

Nevermind then.

Likesspace

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:52:02 AM »
Humble_Servant....
I corresponded with Carter just a few days ago and as far as I know he is still producing equipment on a "by request basis".
If you are interested, both his email and his 800 number are listed on his site.
If you email him or give him a call I can nearly guarantee you that you will get an answer. Not only is he a good guy but he's also runs a very professional operation.
I'm certain that if Carter was no longer selling his equipment he would have taken the site down by now. Like I said, give him a call and he will take care of you.

Dave

wharris

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:01:42 AM »
Like I said, give him a call and he will take care of you.
Agreed

humble_servant7

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:22:40 AM »
Humble_Servant....
I corresponded with Carter just a few days ago and as far as I know he is still producing equipment on a "by request basis".
If you are interested, both his email and his 800 number are listed on his site.
If you email him or give him a call I can nearly guarantee you that you will get an answer. Not only is he a good guy but he's also runs a very professional operation.
I'm certain that if Carter was no longer selling his equipment he would have taken the site down by now. Like I said, give him a call and he will take care of you.

Dave

Now that would be perfect. Thank you so much , LikesSpace.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 01:42:17 AM »
Humble_Sevant looks like everything is back so I would call.

Likesspace

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:27:21 AM »
You're very welcome. Hope everything works out for you.

Dave

Likesspace

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 03:02:12 AM »
humble_servant.....
First of all, check your personal messages.
I did just speak with Carter and he would like for you to give him a call or email him.
He had stopped selling the curd knives,for awhile, but would be more than happy to speak to you about a custom knife.
Give him a call. I'm sure you will be more than satisfied with the quality of workmanship he offers.

Dave

hplace

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 04:48:15 AM »
I use a large whisk. I emailed Marget Morris about which curd knife to purchase on her website and she recommended I purchase the whisk to cut and stir the curd instead. It seems to work very well. Just have to adjust how vigorously I cut and stir to come out with the correct curd size. I use it for anything from 4 to 10 gallon batches. It's a lot cheaper than a curd knife.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 05:33:58 AM »
A whisk is generally a bad idea unless you want really small curds. Relatively consistent curd size is important for proper whey retention.

hplace

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »
These large whisks have at least 1 inch gaps between wires. Using a gentle up/down motion creates 1/2 inch cubes, doing it twice creates 1/4 inch cubes, etc. It works surprisingly well. You are right that if you are not careful, you will get very small curds. I usually cut with the whisk, then stir very carefully with the ladle until enough whey has been expelled that there is some wiggle room. Then I can go back to stirring with the whisk without breaking the curds any further. I'm using raw milk from my own cow which may make a difference in the resiliency of the curds. I always get excellent curd set and never use CaCl.