Author Topic: Curd Cutter - Recomendations  (Read 5837 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Curd Cutter - Recomendations
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 01:56:56 AM »
That what I do for the most part. My large whisk is about the size a a mans fist and cuts curbs nicely  by just slow plunging it striaght down and pulling it back up again. Glad to hear I am not the only one that does that.

Offline Cheddarhead

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 02:41:33 AM »
To quote: Sailor: ....A whisk is generally a bad idea unless you want really small curds. Relatively consistent curd size is important for proper whey retention...

Sailor: ( I use your quote as I find your remark important :) )
Tell me please, why whey/loose water/retention is important? Is this to keep my end product moist? I hope my question does not sound too stupid, lol.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 02:19:12 AM »
Curd size directly affects mositure retention. Big curds big water moister cheese little curds little water dryier cheese.

That being said ... you can undo that theory by over cooking or under cooking the curds or heating them too fast.

As far as the whisk thing goes - I can cut curds from 1/2 inch to the size of rice with a whisk. I have three different size whisks for different sized curds. It just take careful placement of the wires and SLOW cutting not cutting like a blender.