Author Topic: Hello from Alabama  (Read 1633 times)

Talladega

Hello from Alabama
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »
Great Forum!  I have already learned a lot.  My wife and I started raising dairy goats in 2005 for the specific reason of making cheese.  I don't know what's more fun, raising goats or making cheese.  After three years of grade goats, we stepped out and bought our first purebreds in 2008.  Most everything we have learned has been by banging around on the web (which is how we found this forum) and then experimenting.  We have done some travelling and met a lot of good goat people.  Looking forward to learning more!

So far we've just made fresh cheeses, Chevre and Moz.  We're ready to venture into the hard/aged cheeses.  Gonna have to set up a "fridge cave" soon.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Hello from Alabama
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 01:52:32 AM »
Welcome Talladega! Congrats on having your own milk. That makes it a lot easier to get quality cheeses.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 04:12:09 AM »
Hi Talladega, welcome to the forum! Lots of dairy goat owners here (not me)!

justsocat

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »
Welcome Talladega!
How I wish I was goat owner! :)

RadioFlyer

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »
Welcome Talladega and fellow goater! Aren't goats just super??
I'm pretty much where you are - Chevre and Moz. We're looking around for a used medium size wine chiller to make a cheese cave and are getting ready to make a cheesepress. I'm really looking forward to making my first goat cheddar but my dream cheese is Havarti!

Tea

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
Good morning Talladega and welcome to the forum.  I would love to be able to get my hands on a constant supply of goats milk, as I have a couple of lactose allergic children. You are very blessed to have your own supply of milk.

Looking forward to your imput.

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 04:31:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I am also from Alabama; way south of Montgomery. My wife and I love to go to Cheaha once a year though; beautiful up there. I look forward to your input.