Author Topic: Where did I read that chart on PSI?  (Read 2599 times)

vogironface

Where did I read that chart on PSI?
« on: November 22, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »
Ok guys, turn your rememberers.  Some time back I read a series of posts where psi and force were being debated.  Somewhere in that there was a spreadsheet (or something like that) uploaded that made some conversions to PSI.  I think it also included mold sizes as well.  I was trying to find it again and can't for the life of me find it.  If you posted it, or know where it is a link would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do we have a chart or table somewhere that has compiled the PSI for all of the common cheeses?  If not would it be worth compiling?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Where did I read that chart on PSI?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 05:43:51 AM »
I think Carter has one on his site.

Cheese press instruction book and PSI chart

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Wayne posted one in this thread:  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2245.15.html
I think there may have been another. Nothing put together for psi per cheese that I have seen.

mosborn

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »
I think maybe I got my PSI right with this weirdness.  LOL

The recipe said to press with 50 pounds.  But the recipe also said to use 2 gallons of milk and a "2-pound" cheese mold.  I used 1 gallon of milk and a 4" hoop.  SO, when I put 50 pounds of weight on, but had my cheese under ONE of TWO supports....

Do you think it was right?

It looks pretty good to me.  But then, I know pretty close to nuthin'.

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:16:08 PM »
That is hilarious! What kind of cheese was it? Had to be some kind of cheddar with that kind of weight I would guess. When you added the support on the left, it decreased the weight on the cheese significantly (probably about half).
This picture demonstrates the hazards of cheesemaking. With hot melted wax bubbling in pots and towers of weight teetering dangerously and poisonous molds growing freely, it is a wonder cheesemaking is not outlawed. ;D I love living on the edge. :)

mosborn

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »
It's supposed to be gouda.   I figure if the weight on the cheese is half of the weight on the system, then 50 pounds total will be 2 PSI on the 4" cheese -- right?

It does smell good. :)

I gotta build a cheese press.

Oh, the fun has just begun.  Last night I made a HDPE food-grade follower for this thing by cutting out a piece of a plastic cutting board using my sabre saw and dressing the edges with a candle flame, a knife, and a cheese grater.

Today I was reading more about HDPE, and I saw some movies on youtube, about vacuum forming.   Oh, joy.

FarmerJd

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:45:34 PM »
2 psi is correct.
Oh, the fun has just begun.  Last night I made a HDPE food-grade follower for this thing by cutting out a piece of a plastic cutting board using my sabre saw and dressing the edges with a candle flame, a knife, and a cheese grater.
It never ends. :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 12:11:49 AM »
Mosborn I have been known to make some funny pressing schemes myself and so far they have worked well. Just gotta change sizes every few hoursYou can see how many times that big can of tomatoes hit the deck! ;D