Author Topic: Cheesecloth/Butter Muslin - Cleaning  (Read 8893 times)

Kwhite0616

Cheesecloth/Butter Muslin - Cleaning
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »
Hi. My husband and I have recently started making cheese and we were wondering what the best way to clean these fabrics would be. I don't know that I should throw them in the laundry with other items I normally wash. Thanks for your help.

FarmerJd

Re: Cheesecloth/Butter Muslin - Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »
It depends on the type of cheesecloth. If I am using the cheap cheese cloth sold in Walmart's, I throw it away after a single use because the threads travel when it is washed. But if I am using muslin type material, I usually wash it by hand in the sink first to remove the curd particles and such, and then I throw it in a bleach load. Others may do something different but this has worked for me.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »
Hi Karen, welcome to the forum, it's kind of hard to find but there is a good discusion on Cleaning Cheese Cloth/Muslin here.

Kwhite0616

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »
Thanks! Appreciate your help!

FarmerJd

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »
Karen, I just realized this was your first post. Please forgive me for not welcoming you to this great forum. Good luck with your cheesemaking!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:55:40 AM »
Welcome Karen! I scrum mine by hand in the sink then throw them in  boiling water mostly.

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »
Welcome to another Karen!

I rinse my cheesecloth (loose weave cotton/poly blend that I bought by the yard at Walmart), in lukewarm water, then hang it to dry on a rack.  I wash cheesecloth along with other bleached items and machine dry them.

vogironface

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:02:59 AM »
Karen,

I find this stuff very easy to clean.  I put my cloths in a mesh bag, wash them with dish towels and bleach, dry in the dryer, store in a Ziploc and steam sanitize before use.