Author Topic: Spring Style Press - Lopsided Cheese  (Read 3505 times)

micah

Spring Style Press - Lopsided Cheese
« on: November 24, 2009, 02:54:57 PM »
I've got the Capri Artisan Cheese press. 

http://www.ableoaksdairygoats.com/press.html

I get a good shape with the 4" form but when I use the 6" I invariably end up with a lopsided cheese after the final long (6-12 hour) pressing.

I'm guessing my mould isn't centered and thus the spring pushes the (1/2" thick) follower askew.  The mould is just "eyeballed" for centering.   Would a thicker follower help?

I've updated this post with a picture showing how far off the "all thread" is; I think this might be why the cheeses are lopsided.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:52:20 PM by Micah »

vogironface

Re: Spring Style Press - Lopsided Cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:54:42 AM »
Micah,

I had a similar problem and found that if I center the spring exactly in the center of the all thread and make try to keep it perfectly straight up and down then it helps solve that problem.  n fact, it is almost perfect.  The problem was that I could not see the spring below the washer so I cut a piece of lexan and made a wide washer out of it.  The now transparent washer really helps me adjust the spring once it is compressed.  Also, I find that a small bit of vegetable oil on the lexan helps it not bind as much in compression.  Lastly, a bushing that fits snugly inside the spring helps a lot.  I will attach a photo below.

vogironface

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:56:49 AM »
Sorry, Forgot the pics.

micah

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »
The follower I have has a recess for the spring to be placed in but doesn't help much if the form is off center.  I've contacted the manufacturer and I think they are sending a new "press bar" with a properly aligned hole.

I'm going to see if I can center the form on the base and trace the proper position for the form.

Micah

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:25 AM »
The problem is the design is such that a very narrow rod controls the pressure over a much larger plate and this allows the pressure to go off kilter. If the pressure where applied over a larger area it would work better.

I had a a similar device manys years ago and it worked much better with a 1 inch thick bolt but would still rise from one edge to the other somewhat.

micah

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »
The problem is the design is such that a very narrow rod controls the pressure over a much larger plate and this allows the pressure to go off kilter. If the pressure where applied over a larger area it would work better.

I think you are correct.  I may have a 1" length of all thread lying around that I could employ.

Thanks.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:27:03 AM »
You welcome. I know how frustrating a loopsided cheese can be when all else looks so good.