Author Topic: Kawatiri Feta with photos  (Read 4062 times)

kawatiri kaas

Kawatiri Feta with photos
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »
Thought I'd better try posting a new topic. Nothing amazing to add to the knowledge wave but a couple of pics to share... 4.5 litres fresh full cream cows milk, pasteurise 63C for 30 min, cool to 38C inoculate with ABT-4 yog 1hr stirred in briefly, cool to 30C add 3.5ml undiluted liquid rennet stir in for 10 seconds leave 1 hr. Cut curd leave to heal 5 min. Heat back to 30C for 10 min, cool pan for 10min in cold water. Drain curd through cheese cloth overnight retaining whey. Break up curd and mix in 1/2 tsp uniodised salt. Press approx 5kg for 2 hrs then 10 kg for 6 hrs. Cube cake and place in brine (3 heaped dtsp salt in 600ml whey. Last (successful) feta was yummo at 2 days and eye popping at 4! Forgot to weigh curds but I'm guessing about 600gm. Last pic nothing to do with cheese! - first time homemade crumpets, yum! Cheers
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:04:51 AM by kawatiri kaas »

MrsKK

Re: Kawatiri Feta with photos
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 12:38:50 PM »
Oooooh!  I've always wanted to make crumpets.  Are you willing to share the recipe?

BTW - thanks for sharing the photos of your feta making.  I'm glad it turned out to be a very satisfactory cheese for you.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
Nice pictures, as you are using cow's milk, to get that piquant taste, are you using lipase?

Also, what's "ABT-4 yog" , sounds like a thermo starter?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:07:40 PM »
Very nice hon. Looks very good. I too am wondering about the crumpets. Never had one but they looks tasty!

Tea

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
Great looking cheese there.

I have tried crumpets a few times, but never had any success.  Wouldn't mind the recipe that you are using please.

kawatiri kaas

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:06:37 AM »
Feta update, 3 days in brine, way salty but that'll rinse. Curds seemed to have sucked up quite a bit of the brine? Any comments? Maybe I should dispense with the pressing and do more of the cooking? ABT-4 is the 'brand' name of a yoghurt culture that is supposed to yield a 'Greek' style - that is very thick - yoghurt. Tag comes from lactobacillus Acidophilus Bifidobacterium spp and streptococcus Thermophilus, although it is meso not thermo?! 38C/100F cooking temp.
Crumpets - kids ate them straight out of the pan with NO toppings and came back for more - that impressed me!
The recipe is from a book called Betty's Bakery first published in England by Philip and Betty Miles in 1977. Copied here without permission. 12oz flour, 1 small potato, peeled and quartered, 1/2 oz fresh yeast, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, soft butter for griddle. Boil potato in 11/2 cups salted water until very soft. Drain and keep water. Mash tater. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup of potato water. Add remaining potato water and salt, work in mashed potato and flour to make a heavy batter. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Beat rapidly for 5 min with a wooden spoon. Cover and leave to rise again for 1 hour. Repeat beating and rising twice more at 1/2 hour intervals. Grease the inside of crumpet rings (Agee jar 'rings' do fine). Heat a griddle, grease it lightly and keep it at a low even heat. Place the rings around the sides, 1/2 fill with batter, and bake 15 minutes on one side. The batter will rise as it bakes. Turn over and bake for 5 minutes on the second side. Eat hot and fresh or 'toast' them again later on. Supposed to make 12 crumpets, ours must've been a bit smaller as we got over 20. Betty insists on using only stone-ground wholemeal flour, but I made ours with good old white-as-can-be flour and enjoyed the finished product. Hope you enjoy them too. Cheers. No cheese making today, sheep required my after work attention.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:58:14 AM by kawatiri kaas »

Tea

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »
When you say, "sucked up brine", do you mean that the feta is now soft and falling apart?  If it is, then this is called "melting", and the brine pH is wrong.  Try making a brine from the whey.
As I have never had this happen, I don't fully understand why, but if you do a search, or look back through some of the feta posts, you will find the answer to this problem.  HTH

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:27:51 AM »
I don't do feta so I can't help here. Thanks for the crumpet recipe. If they kids ate it it must be good!

That's a really nice looking pile of wool. Do you spin as well?

kawatiri kaas

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:09 AM »
Melting Feta eh? sounds nice, but then isn't actually. I did use whey for the brine, but was probably a bit stingy on the salt level. Next time...
I have spun before (20 yrs ago) and we have recently been given/bequeathed a wheel, so very much looking forward to that. Have to do some homework on fleece washing and carding. Work, work, and more work eh? Lots of fun tho

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:29:40 AM »
Aw farming it's alot of work but a wonderful life! Maybe someday I'll get back there.