Author Topic: Another Down Under newbie !  (Read 2383 times)

jimcheese

Another Down Under newbie !
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:07:28 AM »
I'm working for an on-farm  , small-scale cheesery after 5 years with the "Evil Empire" known as Kraft  .Yet the skills and disciplines are similar --- so it's cleanliness ,attention to detail ,more cleanliness  ,good feel and taste ,even more cleanliness  etc etc .

This cheesery take the milk from the on-site milking shed  ,straight through the constant flow pasteuriser and into the making room  .Only 1000 litres a batch so the production is small and all hands on. Just three of us work here . We make mainly white and blue molds  ,  triple creams, a feta ,and every now and then some cheddars and crumblies

This is heaven after working 24 hour ,7 day a week rotating shifts making "orange" cheese slices for Maccas burgers and processed cream cheese spread in cans for Saudi Arabians  !

I still experiment making cheese at home  ,and grow a lot of our own food  ,meat included  . Life is good out on the farm away from the rat race !   

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: Another Down Under newbie !
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum. I am looking for your input as you have some hefty commercial experience. Are you close to Canberra by any chance?

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »
Hello jimcheese, welcome to the forum, looking forward to your advice!

When my family and I used to live in the tropics in SE Asia, Kraft brand processed cheese was popular as it didn't have to be refrigerated, it came in blue round tins and I think it was made in Australia. Assume same issue of heat for Saudi's.

You have a great job and sounds even better now out of big monster sized company.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 06:17:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum. It is nice to have another real pro on board! I look forward to your input.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
Good morning Jim and welcome to the forum.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
Welcome aboard Jim. Must be nice to make cheese at home after all the long hours working for Kraft.

vogironface

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
yes, welcome Jim.

jimcheese

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »
Hi gang and thanks for the welcome .

Yes ,that processed cheese in blue cans was ours  ,in 55 ,126,and 225gm sizes ! All our canned product was sold to a Saudi agent  ,all 25,000 tonne a year  ,and he would have shipped it to Indonesia .Top quality product but terrible cheese but it certainly did provide a calcium source to countries without a dairy industry .

Kraft produced 72,000 tonnes a year of processed cheese  ,mainly for export from Australia ,and a lot of it was that dreadful coloured cheese slice for Maccas or other burger firms .If you ate a burger anywhere from Cairo to Tokyo  ,the cheese slice was made in Australia  .Kraft now have plants in Indonesia and Saudi though and have removed themselves from manufacturing in Australia  ,selling their factories to a Farmers Co-op called Bega   ,albeit a huge co-op !

So making small amounts of artisan cheese by hand is creatively fulfilling  ,seeing through the process from dairy to retail .We have a factory sales area and deal with the tourists/customers as need be .The making area can be viewed through large glass Windows and fascinates most people ,watching how we almost caress the curds when getting ready to hoop up .And our maturing rooms are a delight for many to see the various cheeses ageing or the soft molds before wrapping  , or the crumblies and  soft blues before waxing ,all of which we do by hand !

But from what I've read here  ,some of you are doing really interesting stuff ,more experimental than we could do and still make a living .I read on with interest  ,and maybe I can offer some tech detail every now and then . .And I'm down south in Vic .

Cheers

jim     

Offline michoutim

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 07:32:50 AM »
Welcome Jimcheese and good luck in your endeavour!  :)