Author Topic: Cottage Cheese Q. Too much rennet  (Read 4347 times)

kawatiri kaas

Cottage Cheese Q. Too much rennet
« on: November 28, 2009, 09:48:56 AM »
Opps, who was the silly person who commented that cheese making was easy! lol Even the simplest of cheeses can be elusive it seems. Question; what have I made when I inadvertently added way too much rennet? And is it salvageable or must it be relegated to chook food?

Alex

Re: Cottage Cheese Q. Too much rennet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
I've never made Cottage, but in general, to much Rennet cause bitterness.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »
Here's the method I use to make cottage cheese:  http://tcuppminiatures.blogspot.com/2008/09/making-cottage-cheese.html

No rennet required, but you do need to have raw milk available, which you do, Brett.

Is the cheese you made bitter?  Or too hard or both?  If bitter, you may want to give it to the chickens.  Otherwise, I have used dry cottage cheese on pizza and in lasagna.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
Sounds like you made "cottage cheese curds" - not the same as large or small curd, cottage cheese but makes a nice snack or topping for salads.

kawatiri kaas

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:28:58 AM »
Thanks for input. Curds don't taste bitter, but are awfully tough and kinda stringy. I pressed them somewhat and having cubed them placed them in a 12% whey brine - hoping for a little flavour. Kids keep asking for more cream cheese, maybe I should just do that for now...? nah it's soo much fun experimenting! Cheers.