Author Topic: White mold box, will it work?  (Read 2172 times)

vogironface

White mold box, will it work?
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:21 AM »
I am gearing up to try some camembert within the next few weeks.  My cave is small and space comes at a premium.  I thought this might give me twice the space in my box with a second layer of small cheeses.  Question is has anyone else tried it and do you think it will work.  Thoughts and criticism is welcome.

Tea

Re: White mold box, will it work?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
I don't see why it won't work.  Sailor posted a similar box a week or so ago.  He drilled screws around the sides and laid a hard plastic draining mat on the screws.   I used to put a bowl of water on the base and the draining mat sat on the bowl.  What ever you do, just remember to open regularly and get a good air exchange in the box.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:56:24 AM »
The only thing I would suggest is that you put something else on the bottom to keep the cheese off the floor of the box. It will be sitting in whey and that's not good. Good luck hon!

BTW I think I use the same shoe box. I just cut some of those cheap WalMart plastic needlepoint mats to fit the bottom and propped it up about an inch with rolled paper towels for air flow.

vogironface

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 04:08:43 AM »
Debi,

I use the same plastic things from wal-mart.  I was going to use the dowels on the bottom to elevate it.  They are bamboo skewers that have been cut in half.  That way they are disposable. 

Tea,
It was Sailors post that sparked this idea but his sure looked nicer.  (thanks Sailor)  I don't think he uses it for 2 levels of cheese but for the small camamberts it should work.  What I am not sure of is if it will be to humid with 4 cheeses in there.  I think that could be regulated with the lid.

Thanks for the opinions.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:37:07 AM »
Ben I would make it thicker than a skewer so it can breathe and not get it's feet wet while your at work. The caps from the milk bottles work pretty well, just scatter them around the box.