Author Topic: Iowa cheese  (Read 1294 times)

caseyJames

Iowa cheese
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:25:42 AM »
Hey everyone!  Currently in Iowa City, Iowa.   Fairly new to cheesemaking, and really really excited about it!  I have a saying "cheese is your friend."  Have always loved trying cheeses from all over, and started making a few years ago just making lebna and paneer a few times.  Last year had cancer and couldn't eat cheese!  Oh my!  Decided that after chemo i was going to seriously start making my own!  I reasearched during that 6 months, and bought some equipment.  I've been done for about a year now and have made several batches of cheddar from goat milk from friends of mine.  I smoked one wheel, was great after 3 months.  I just opened the other wheel and it's marvelous.  I always make ricotta from the whey.  I've also tried a cows milk brie, but the first one failed but i know what went wrong.  I just wrapped my second attempt at it.   Looking forward to all the advice and the learning i can get here, and the mutual joy in making cheese!

mtncheesemaker

Re: Iowa cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:43:40 AM »
Welcome to you! Glad to have another happy cheese junkie on board.
Lots of great info here from some very experienced people.
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:38:08 AM »
Hello Casey and welcome! Cheese making is a very rewarding hobby and the folks here are great! Enjoy!

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Great folks on here.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »
Hi Casey and welcome to the forum, congrats on getting past chemo, now not only can you eat cheese again but you can make it too!

Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »
Good morning Casey and welcome to the forum.  Hopefully your second Brie works out for you.