Author Topic: Propionibacteria - Propagating  (Read 10035 times)

boyan nikolov

Re: Propionibacteria - Propagating
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
Woah, 1.5 tsp is quite a bit. Dave, I had some more ideas for your swiss if you ever want to give it another go. Propionic is very sensitive to both salt and temp. So whereas pressing under whey helps to compact the curd together and eliminate mechanical pockets, aging in a very warm environment and salting to about 1-1.2% should give the bacteria a happy environment to grow and produce enough gas to make large holes.

Also, to follow up on this thread, I have a good storage idea for long-term bacteria and mold storage in buffered sterile water. No need to freeze it and little loss of viability for 1-2 years. Also, I thought up of some good recipes for making media broth at home without the need to buy expensive stuff from science supply companies. So if anyone is feeling adventurous, let me know. It's not much harder than making starter from yogurt or buttermilk.
Woah, 1.5 tsp is quite a bit. Dave, I had some more ideas for your swiss if you ever want to give it another go. Propionic is very sensitive to both salt and temp. So whereas pressing under whey helps to compact the curd together and eliminate mechanical pockets, aging in a very warm environment and salting to about 1-1.2% should give the bacteria a happy environment to grow and produce enough gas to make large holes.

Also, to follow up on this thread, I have a good storage idea for long-term bacteria and mold storage in buffered sterile water. No need to freeze it and little loss of viability for 1-2 years. Also, I thought up of some good recipes for making media broth at home without the need to buy expensive stuff from science supply companies. So if anyone is feeling adventurous, let me know. It's not much harder than making starter from yogurt or buttermilk.
Hi,
I have an interest.Please explain how to make easier recultivated bacteria for holes in Swiss cheesepropionic shermanii how to grow at home