Author Topic: Pumpkin Queso Fresco  (Read 3719 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Pumpkin Queso Fresco
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »
OK, I experimented with a Pumpkin flavored cheese. Used Carroll's recipe for Queso Fresco with a twist.

Used 1-1/2 gallon of non-homogenized whole milk. (Did not use my normal raw milk)
Plus 1/2 gallon "Pumpkin Eggnog" - OK I cheated
1/4 tsp Aroma B culture
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
....yada, yada, yada (see Carroll page 94 or your favorite Queso Fresco recipe)

Made this on 11/15, air dried one day, then vacuum bagged.
Cut this one on Thanksgiving Day - 11/26, so it was just 11 days old. This is a fresh cheese so it probably wouldn't age any better.

This cheese was WONDERFUL. Way beyond expectations. It was the hit of the appetizer table, and everyone was asking for more. My son in law is a professional chef and is hard to impress - he went back for thirds. I will definitely make more this week for Christmas.

Tea

Re: Pumpkin Queso Fresco
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
SO do we get any pics??

Congrats on the cheese working, and for impressing the SIL.  Well done.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:36:19 AM »
It was gone before I could get pics. I get some on the next one.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:49:10 AM »
I make pumkin eggnog pies. They are very good. So is pumkin eggnog creamcheese.

tina

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »
Hello,
First post, new to cheesemaking. Had the brilliant idea this morning of making eggnog cheese, found this forum, and then this post. So, my question: why wouldn't you use more eggnog or pumpkin nog in the recipe? The amounts in the recipes sound like the noggy flavor would be very faint. Would there be a problem with adding more nog and less milk?

TIA

tina

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:06:13 PM »
Ironically, everyone LOVED this cheese because the pumpkin flavor was subtle. However, I would have liked it much stronger. So I just made another one for Christmas and doubled the pumpkin nog.

FYI, I also made an eggnog Gouda that has been aging for a couple of months. Should be ready by Christmas too. The nice thing about the Pumpkin Queso Fresco is that it's ready in just a few days.

tina

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Hmmmm, so, doubling the amount of nog didn't make any difference in setting the curd? Good to hear.

I saw your eggnog gouda post and if I recall correctly, you used 1/4 nog. You'll have to update us on the flavor and whether you'll increase the nog percentage next time.

My goat milk supplier told me they made chocolate cheese once and it was pretty good!

So, my next step is making an improvised press of some sort, with the motivation of doing it before eggnog disappears from the stores.  :-[