Author Topic: Lipase - Using In Parmesan Cheese  (Read 8855 times)

milkprotein_fat

Lipase - Using In Parmesan Cheese
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:41:52 PM »
What is the possibility of adding powder lipase enzyme to Shredded / Grated Parmesan cheese for flavour enhancement?

linuxboy

Re: Lipase - Using In Parmesan Cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »
You mean finished cheese? It will taste like raw enzyme plus the taste of the underlying cheese. Lypase needs physical contact with the fat molecules to break them down, and this is accomplished by adding the enzyme to milk, not finished cheese.

milkprotein_fat

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 02:48:09 PM »
i have seen people using this in shredded cheese (finished product) so there must be a reason for it. And taste of enzyme may not be issue at low concentration?? any thoughts?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »
Your question was about adding lipase to shredded cheese for flavour enhancement. But then you say the taste of the enzyme may "not be an issue". So why put it in? Enzymes need time to do their thing during the aging process and it is unlikely they will do much on a finished cheese. Like Linuxboy said, put it in the milk (before rennet) not in the finished cheese.

wharris

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:26:17 PM »
I think you all are being too harsh on milkprotein_fat,  I for one, sprinkle a little yeast on my toast in the morning and some pectic enzyme on my wine at night.

:)

All kidding aside milkprotein_fat,  its not really about how most enzymes taste, its more about what they do.
Enzymes are not flavor additives.  They create textures and flavors (that they themselves do not possess) by their actions.

milkprotein_fat

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:16 PM »
Ok I think I'm contradicting myself as pointed out. But my thought behind this is that if Lipase contributes to better flavour in Parmesan cheese when added in milk, it should do something similar when added to shredded cheese when stored for few weeks...fat is there for lipase to act..same as milk..slightly different form..!! Just a thought!!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
Elegantly put Wayne.

Sorry if I came across harsh. Didn't mean to.

Go ahead and try it. We all learn something here every day. One problem I see, if you do store the lipased-shredded cheese it needs to be at cave temperature, and not refrigerator temperature and that is a setup for molds. Let us know how it works.

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:24:49 AM »
Once shredded, parmesan loses flavor within a short period of time, so shredding it ahead of time and storing it for several weeks sounds counterproductive to me.

It will be interesting to hear what kind of results you come up with, though.  Will you keep a sample of the cheese without lipase, so that you have a control?

milkprotein_fat

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:42:44 PM »
Thanks all..will give it a try and see what happens..!!

wharris

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »
For the record.  I did actually try some calf lipase.  Raw.  I scooped out about 1/8tsp and gave it a taste test.

Slightly salty. very fine powder.  Not grainy like salt or sugar.  But overall a bit like salty cardboard from a flavor perspective.  nothing more.

Nothing like the sharp calf or kid lipase that we've come smell and expect from re-hydrated lipase.

MrsKK

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »
You probably needed to let it sit on your tongue for 20 minutes to get the full effect, Wayne.

milkprotein_fat

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »
Bravo Wayne!! After all lipase doesn;t taste that bad on it;s own..!

wharris

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »
In prep for my parm marathon, I am looking hard at various recipe details.
Lipase is another of those details in which I found some errors in my recipes. (found rennet issues here.)

I bought some kid lipase from Dairy Connection

In running through my previous lipase usage amounts vs the recommended manufacturers amounts.  it turns out I have been using too much.

The correct rate is 20g-120g per 1000liters of milk.  So I used 18g per 24 gallons, which turns out to be about 198g per 1000 liters. A bit much. 

I made a quick spreadsheet to calculate my correct usage.

(This builds on my rennet spreadsheet) 
BTW, I save my spreadsheeds in opendocument format. This is an effort to be widely usable.  if you need a differant format, i am happy to use it.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 02:26:09 AM »
That is a lot of lipase!

wharris

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 02:29:29 AM »
The usage amounts? or the package size?