Author Topic: Kadova Brand Mold - 500 gr Gouda Shape  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Ginger

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Kadova Brand Mold - 500 gr Gouda Shape
« on: December 02, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »
I was thinking of getting a couple of the Glengarry 500gram kadova moulds and was wondering if anyone else has used them.  I realize that they aren't the "real" gouda moulds with the netting but kinda wanted to try them out before I really got into it.  I really like the shape of the cheese that comes out with the rounded corners.  Would I be happy with them or should I just get a couple of the small tomme moulds from New England Supply?  I only use two gallons of milk when I make my cheese and split the curds between two moulds so I get 1lb wheels.    Ginger

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Kadova Brand Mold - 500 gr Gouda Shape
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:03:07 AM »
I have 6 of them. I highly recommend if you think you will be making big batches of cheese to get the 1kg size. Although the small ones are cute for gifts it is easier to get a good quailty cheese in a larger wheel. They don't dry out as fast.

That being said - I love the kadova molds I have several types and sizes and they are so nice to use and save a lot of time. The cheese come out very nice looking to.

Oh a warning about the 450 gram size ... they have to be completely full to form and press nicely. They have an edge that stops them from going past a certain poin and if you are short a few ounces of curd the wheels will look like brains not cheeses. The 1 kg size does not have a lip like that to stop them as soon and the 3 kg has no stop at all.

Hope this helps!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:52:50 AM »
Glengarry has a W49 Kadova "hobbyist" look alike that uses cheesecloth instead of netting. It is a 500g mould and costs only $14.75. I believe this is what Ginger is referring to.

Deb - How much can you actually get in your 1kg Kadova? I do 4 gallon batches and end up with about 4+ pounds of cheese. I would like a Kadova, but the 1kg seems a little small. The next size up is an enormous price jump.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 01:30:06 AM »
I think the most was somewhere around 2-1/2 pounds of curds dry out to a bit over 2 pounds I think. As you've probably noticed I am using the 2.5 to 3 kg the most they will hold from 2 pounds to 7 and press out nicely. Very flexable. I can split a batch as low as 4 gallons and the look nice.

Another thing to consider is the tomme (?) mould I think is was less than $30 does not have the nylon mesh but presses very nicely with cheese cloth if you remove it after the second flip (no Lines) and will hold about 8 pounds of curds. Only difference (besides the nylon) is it has a flat top, bottom and sides. Looks great for big Cheddars and Colby's. Doesn't play well with other cheese in my mini cave though - to tall I can only use 2 shelve when I press a full batch.

This was an 8 pound Colby jalapeno in the tomme mould: