Author Topic: Saalam from the Middle East  (Read 2881 times)

Leao

Saalam from the Middle East
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
Hi everyone at Cheese Forum,

I have recently become acquainted with the cheese making world after volunteering for over a year at an Organic goat cheese farm in Israel. While I certainly enjoy eating cheese, especially Lebaneh (a cream cheese very common in this part of the world), what most interests me is the lifestyle involved in running a cheese farm. It seems obvious to me now after working previously 9-5 that this is what man is meant to do (i.e. running a farm, working with animals) and I am keen to further my knowledge a little via this forum.

Shalom from the Middle East from...

Leao

Cheese Head

Re: Saalam from the Middle East
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:47:04 PM »
Shalom Leao in Middle East, welcome to the forum, lots of good info here to learn from!

Alex

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
Shalom and wellcome Leao, from Haifa

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:50:56 AM »
Welcome, Leao. I like that "Cheese with the morning breeze". Kinda rolls off the tongue....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 04:32:11 AM »
Shalom and welcome Leao! I agree we are ment to be on the farm tending the animals and making cheese! Maybe someday ...

justsocat

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 06:34:58 AM »
Welcome Leao!
Very nice pic. I felt like I smell and hear all that goats. That is what a man is meant to do - I agree. Absolutely.
And as Debi says - may be some day...

Leao

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 06:54:37 AM »
Welcome, Leao. I like that "Cheese with the morning breeze". Kinda rolls off the tongue....

-Boofer-
It's a translation of the name of the cheese farm in Galilee where I live and work in Arabic: 'Al Ban El Nassim'. Invented by a Bedouin friend of the farm.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Leao

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:39 AM »
Leao, sorry, missed your link on your OP, some very beautiful pictures of cheeses, I'm very envious!

To others, from Leao's link, you can click on the top left word English to more easily explore the website in English or just click here.

FarmerJd

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Like you, I also believe there is a certain contentment in being able to take part in what I provide for myself and my family. I also love to get my hands dirty. :)

Tea

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »
Shalom Leao and welcome to the forum.

lauriecross

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 03:58:20 PM »
Leao, welcome! The photos on the website of the farm are spectacularly beautiful, and quite a treat to view!  Thank you SO MUCH - made my morning!  It seems so serene there... 

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 11:39:01 PM »
Leao and others, I split off the discussion about Lebaneh to here.

iratherfly

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 09:18:32 AM »
Hey Leao,
I am Yoav, I live and make my cheese in New York City of all places, but I grew up in the city of Haifa, so not too far. My twin sister lives not too far from this cheese farm (or is it a creamery?) What a great area! the views, the people, the clear air and the amazing cheese.

For those not too familiar... Cheese is a huge part of Israeli cuisine and is consumed with almost every breakfast. In fact, the most popular grocery in Israel after bread and milk is Fromage Blanc. Lately there has been a rise in local, organic and artisanal food in Israel and exciting boutique wineries and creameries pop up everywhere like mushrooms after the rain. I visit 4 times a year and make as much food as I possibly can with the fantastic local produce. Maybe I will run into you in my next visit?

Good luck!