Author Topic: Going Naked (No Cheesecloth In Mold/Hoop)  (Read 6885 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Going Naked (No Cheesecloth In Mold/Hoop)
« on: December 06, 2009, 06:36:58 PM »
Yesterday I made my 4 gallon Manchego. I promised myself I would try to implement a number of suggestions I had gathered from this forum. One of those changes was to press under whey with cheesecloth, but then to remove the cloth when I flipped the cheese (if the curds had knitted).

This morning when I went to remove the wheel from the mould, there were significantly longer nubbins of cheese protruding through the mould holes. It was difficult to remove the wheel from the mould and when I did, the wheel looked like Pinhead from the Hellraiser horror movies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhead_(Hellraiser).

The amount of weight I used for the final pressing of my 8 inch mould and 4 gallon wheel was 35 pounds. I had three recipes to draw from (Ricki Carroll's, "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes", and the one on this forum.)

I would imagine the nubbins will come off over time as the wheel is brined, washed, rubbed, etc. It's a negative aesthetic for me. I'm rethinking removing the cheesecloth, or at least when to go naked. The argument is between a few cheesecloth creases which are less significant than the presence of a lot of little raised pips. The presence of the cheesecloth minimizes the protrusion of curd through the mould holes.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Going Naked (No Cheesecloth In Mold/Hoop)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »
Just flip it one more time. The chances of hitting the same holes are very slim.  :o

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »
 Boofer...
I have to say that I agree 100% with your assessment.
I used to lose the cheesecloth during the final press but I always really hated the bumps. I've since gone back to press with cheesecloth during the entire process and I am much happier with my results.
One thing that I have changed is to stop using fine weave muslin cloth for pressing. When I first used this cloth I thought it was the greatest things since sliced bread, but I also noticed that it left pronounced cloth markings on the wheel.
A few weeks ago I tried a cloth that I purchased from Leeners.com which is their standard "fine weave" cheese cloth. Since using this I have noticed that the markings from the cloth are very negligible and it still gives a very nice press.
You might want to give this a try and see what you think of it.
I am a LOT happier now that my wheels have a minimum of the bumps.

Dave

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:56:23 AM »
Like I said, going cheesecloth-optional was merely a trial because others here had good things to say about it. It falls under the "different strokes for different folks" category. What works for one may not work for another. Eh, it was worth a try. A lot of other tips have proven positive here, including pressing under whey.

I ended up shaving off the offending bumps when it came out of the brine/whey. Much better.

I gave the bumps to my Yorkie. She loved them. Her pic is on here somewhere.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:00:38 AM »
Could be the size of the holes too?

Likesspace

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 01:14:50 AM »
Boofer.....
It seems that you and I think alike....
I would always take a sterilized razor blade and shave the bumps off of my wheels as well. Even though it took a little time to do so I was so much more pleased with the final result.
As many have said, taste is the most important thing but man.....I'm also a really big fan of texture and appearance.
I guess I might be a bit selfish but I've also eaten the shaved off bumps myself other than feeding them to the family dog. That could be because I don't have a family dog and our family cat really doesn't seem to be in the least interested in my cheeses. :)

Dave

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:32:03 AM »
Dave - Hard to believe a cat wouldn't enjoy dairy. Perhaps he/she has a particular affinity for a specific type of cheese. A Brie maybe?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

wharris

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 01:38:03 AM »
I used a standard cheese planer to shave off my "naked" final press nubbins today.
Worked great.

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 11:05:34 AM »
You guys are weird!  :D  Those bumps give great character.

But, that's just my humble opinion.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
Debi - Yes, size of the holes would be an issue. I am using the 7" cheese mould I got from Leeners last year. The holes are about 1/8".

In my letter to Santa this year I asked for some other cheese moulds. Has anyone seen or used the 500g Gouda style mould (W49) from Glengarry? It says it "is a simplified version of the Kadova system but is not a Kadova mould. It has the same traditional Gouda shape and comes with cheese cloth instead of netting. It is a mould that will suit hobbiest cheesemakers." At US$14.75, it is more in my cheesemaking budget than the true Kadova moulds.

I'm thinking three or four of those would permit me to use my same 3-4 gallon recipes and produce smaller finished cheeses. Then, instead of making a wheel, aging it, quartering it, and resealing it, I could just sample one of the smaller cheeses and the others could stay pristine and untouched.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:07 AM »
I haven't used them but someone else was just asking about them too. If it's what I think it is Dairy Connections had them also (they get their mould from Glengarry) they reminded me of the tome mold. Like the one Dave just made his cheddar in but rounded. Very well made and inexpensive.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 03:59:27 AM »
Boof - I just received 2 of the W49s from Glengarry. 500g is really small but it's a really nice little hoop for the money. Comes with a small piece of cheesecloth. Gouda shaped with a concave follower. Cute as the dickens. :o However, in my opinion, it needs LOTS more holes. There are only four 1/8" holes on the bottom of the mould. None on the sides and none on the follower.

I also got one of the 2kg Kadova moulds. They have been carrying a 1kg (too small) and a 3kg (really pricey). The 2kg is new and not even on their website yet.

They also have some great microperf moulds with tiny (1/16" ?) holes. I ordered 2 different sizes for draining my blues, etc. Again, very nice for the price. But, back to the point of the thread, the tiny holes would be great for pressing naked.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 05:29:44 AM »
Sailor - What was the price of the 2kg mould? If it's not listed on the website, how did you find out about it?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 11:12:39 PM »
I think I paid $230 for mine if I remember right. That would be $115 each.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 12:22:45 AM »
Right on target Deb. It was $115 Canadian so about $108 U.S. dollars. I found the 2k Kadova on a European site, so I asked Glengarry if they were carrying them. They are, but sometimes hard to get. Nice folks. Very helpful. Margaret Morris has started her own cheese factory, so that's where most of her focus is at right now. I suggested they join the forum. We'll see.