Author Topic: Going Naked (No Cheesecloth In Mold/Hoop)  (Read 6864 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Going Naked (No Cheesecloth In Mold/Hoop)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 02:09:57 AM »
I did the same thing! I called asking about her 5kg molds and told her I really needed something bigger than 1kg and smaller than 5 she suggested the 2kg. Somehow I ended buying 4 of them and sold two too John. I love it. Perfect size although I split my batch in two so it fits my mini cave better. I only did one full cheese and I had to remove two of my shelves it was to tall. I gave her the website too. Very sweet lady! She signed my book for me.

Offline Cheddarhead

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 02:30:30 AM »
OK, before I made this request for informatin, I did check glossary under 'naked'...

To quote Sailor:  Again, very nice for the price. But, back to the point of the thread, the tiny holes would be great for pressing naked.****

Please pray tell to a newbie what 'naked' means... TY :)
Alynxia

Likesspace

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 02:50:02 AM »
Alynxia....
Sometimes we, as cheesemakers have a sudden urge to get back to nature.
The feel of clothing while pressing a cheese becomes.....well, oppressive.
I've found myself, many times feeling the need to lose some of that extra weight which I feel blocks my creativity in the process.  As is obvious, this is also a feeling that many cheese makers share.
I am willing to share pictures of the process upon request. I mean who wouldn't want to see a balding, middle aged man making cheese in this fashion?  :o

Okay, enough of that....
Pressing naked means without cheese cloth in the mold.
Quite a few of the members here have gone to losing the cheese cloth on the final press so that there are no cloth marks, left on the wheel.
I usually do use cloth the entire time simply because all of my molds are drilled (many holes on the side and bottom). These holes leave "bumps" on the finished cheese that bothers me MUCH more than a few cloth marks.
Hopefully this helps to explain the title of this post.

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 02:11:59 AM »
Dave -

You are so bad!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 07:12:36 AM »
Alynxia - Dave explained my thread title. I tried going without the cheesecloth because I had read that it might provide a better rind finish. I'm with Dave, I abhor the pokey little nubbins on my cheese wheel. The cheesecloth minimizes the effect which I am more comfortable with.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.