Author Topic: Discussion of Refrigerators  (Read 25959 times)

Tom Turophile

Re: Discussion of Refrigerators
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »
I was afraid you would say that :)

I'd rather be able to consistently rely on the fridge, and then make adjustments.  I'd like to reduce variables!

My thinking is that, because of the less-than-perfect gasket, hot moist air is getting in, causing the condensation.  However, if it is because it is sitting in the garage, and the old fridge can't handle it, then I'm wasting my time (and energy, and energy costs!).  If the fridge is working too hard, it will not be reliable.

iratherfly

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
I just think it's harder to make a dry refrigerator humid than making a humid one dry. But then again, you can use aging containers and play with the lid opening.
I have been using that inexpensive GE wine cooler and it keeps everything nice and cold. It's a compressor fridge that keeps stuff humid (not that thermo electric wine chiller nonsense). I discovered a 5 degree range between bottom and top shelf that helps divid it to different cheeses properly. I also use it to chill wine, cure meats and store chocolates (perfect for that). Well worth the $250 investment.

Tom Turophile

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
I have been using that inexpensive GE wine cooler and it keeps everything nice and cold. It's a compressor fridge that keeps stuff humid (not that thermo electric wine chiller nonsense). I discovered a 5 degree range between bottom and top shelf that helps divid it to different cheeses properly.

That's interesting.  Having more cheeses in the fridge is bound to raise the temperature, anyway.

I should probably start my own thread, but here is the gasket that I need to replace.  I'm having an extremely difficult time finding a custom-made gasket (most are for commercial fridges).

Alex

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
Tom, this is a one piece gasket containing a built-in magnetic strip to ensure the door is closed. IMHO you have to get a replacement pert that perfectly fits your fridge door.

Tom Turophile

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 02:28:39 PM »
Thanks.  These guys have been trying to help me, but couldn't be 100% sure what type it was.  I'm having a difficult time prying it off.

As it is an old fridge, I won't be able to find the exact part.  They charge about 3.50/ft, which isn't bad IMO.

If anyone has any other sources, let me know.

Alex

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
It's a bad link Tom.

FriZer

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »
The link that you gave Tom seems to be not working or really does not exist.  Now I am curious what those guys look like. If it is okay with you, can you post the right link?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:22:51 PM by FriZer »

rlatta

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »
the link works, just have to tweak it
http://www.barefrigeration.com/cart.php?m=home

Gina

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »
Good timing on this thread bump. I've just switched from a small 3 cubic foot fridge with inside drippy coils to a much larger Craig's list freezerless fridge (17 ft+). It is only 8 months old and was spotless inside. $150 including delivery. While I just LOVE-LOVE-LOVE all the space inside, the difference in humidity levels inside is amazing. I had no idea it would be so different.

The small fridge had water dripping and I had to wipe down the underside of the collection tray under the freezing coils daily or some of the cheeses got drops on them. Yikes. The new larger fridge is soooo much drier inside. When I transfered my cheeses into it, some started drying too much so I had to put them all into separate containers since the trays of water in the bottom were not doing the job. I just put a tray with a raised metal rack, covered with a wet towel, near the fan system in the upper rack. Well see how that goes.

I really do love all the space however. No wasted space with a non-functional freezer compartment either. And I"ve been able to move lots of wine bottles into the bottom shelves. :)

And considering the size, the larger one is relatively more energy efficient. The small dorm fridge costs $37/yr to run, the much larger 'new' one only $41.

9mmruger

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »
Congrats on the new fridge Gina.  Lots of storage now.  My little cave is beginning to fill up.  I may have to visit Craigslist to keep an eye out for another.

Melle12

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »
Hi All!
Thanks for all the useful information (here and elsewhere on the boards).  I have only recently started making cheese, and got a good deal on a GE 4.5 to keep as a cheese cave.  I currently have 3 bowls of water and a wet towel in there, but I can only get the humidity up to 65%- I seem to be having a different experience than others, so I am wondering what I could be doing wrong.  BTW- started with 2 bowls of water, then added the towel, then added the third bowl, but I haven't seen much change with the additions.
:-) Thanks!

Gina

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »
Low humidity is often an issue in fridges. It is in my new cheese cave too. I had 3 shallow pans that werent doing enough - partly because they were away from the fan at the top of the appliance. What I use now is a 9 X 13inch glass lasagne pan containing a metal roasting rack (about 6 inches tall) draped with a wet towel (to increase wet surface area for more evaporation) up on the top shelf where the air is moving the most. I use a turkey baster once/day to keep the towel wet. I dont have an instrument to measure the humidity, but the surfaces of the cheeses now show less cracking.

Since the metal rack will rust, I'm thinking of eventually changing that for 2 sanitized clay flower pots draped with the wet towel. The clay pots hopefully also will act as both moisture wicks and evaporative surfaces.

Melle12

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »
Thanks Gina- maybe I need to move my bowls/towel/pan of water up toward the top shelves in the fridge (and figure out where the fan is).  Currently, I have them on the bottom with cheese on the shelves above, and I haven't noticed much evaporation from the bowls.
:-)

Gina

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
Thanks Gina- maybe I need to move my bowls/towel/pan of water up toward the top shelves in the fridge (and figure out where the fan is).  Currently, I have them on the bottom with cheese on the shelves above, and I haven't noticed much evaporation from the bowls.
:-)
That sounds like my former set up too. :)  Shallow pans etc near the bottom, wiht cheeses on shelves near the top. My new fridge has the fans near the top however, so evaporation wasnt enough.

I cant see the fan, but when the fridge is running, I can easily hear/feel where the air is moving.

With my last fridge, a small dorm type with freezing unit in the top, I had no trouble keeping humidity up and in fact it was often too wet, but this fridge is totally different. But I love it. :)

wharris

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »
I have two regular sized cookie sheets in my fridge full of water.  I get about 75% RH from that.  I need to replace the water about once every 2 weeks.